PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking omeprazole

countrygirl
30-06-13, 16:41
I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia over 25 yrs ago and have taken famotidine one of the first generation anti ulcer tablets since. It helps with the heartburn but not completely I still need at least one dose of antacid a day and every 5-6 weeks I get a few days of crippling heartburn that nothing helps but never found out why. I have had two gastroscopies the last one three and half years ago cos I worry about getting barratts oesphagus/cancer and all was fine at last one.

My Dr has suggested I try omeprazole at low dose to see if it works better than what I am on but I am phobic about meds and know that omeprazole has some bad press re more prone to pneumonia.

I feel I am between devil and deep blue see. I worry about the heartburn giving me oesphageal cancer eventually but knowing I will have to take any meds for life the omeprazole is so much stronger than what I am on now???????????????

I am happy to have your good and bad experiences of omeprazole.

Speranza
30-06-13, 16:47
I had good experiences. After about three weeks I cut it down to every other day. But I didn't have anything quite like what you have. I was a bit worried about taking it, also had conflicting advice from professionals about how long it should be before a meal. In fact it's not too crucial apparently. It totally turned around my acid reflux problem, I am so glad I took it.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

aggiecuttler
30-06-13, 17:28
I take it every month with my chemo tablets, very effective re anti sickness no side effects i take on empty stomach good luck blessings

peelio81
30-06-13, 17:38
Omeprazole is great, i've been on it for a couple of years now. I never get acid anymore

nomorepanic
30-06-13, 17:59
Works really quick and great results!

countrygirl
30-06-13, 20:13
Thanks everyone. I have Drs appt next week so might ask if I can give it a try and see if its better than what I am on.

almamatters
30-06-13, 20:16
I have been on this medication for nearly 2 years and have had good experiences with it. works effectively and no side effects. I am meds phobic and get really scared taking new meds.

Dazza123
30-06-13, 23:41
I'm on nexium and have been for 10 years, it's a purer form so more expensive and difficult to get but it's better than omeprazole in my opinion as that has never worked for me. Only problem I get is b12 deficiency so I supplement with lozenges under my tongue as these type of meds can prevent your stomach from absorbing b12. Other than this they are fine to use.

imisssuz
01-07-13, 13:13
I'm on omeprazole 20mg to stop HELICOBACTER PYLORI coming back...had stomach bypass because nothing they gave me(antibiotics and such)made the "mass" (as they described it) go away...luckily I get acid reflux only 1 to 2x a week...and everybody has H/Pylori in their bodies incubating but it is very rare for people to get it.......Don't worry as It's so many thousands to one that you would get h/pylori...and as I say I'm quite ok now....hope your heartburn improves and you take your omeprazole as I've found it has improved the acid reflux enormously with no side effects.

Dazza123
01-07-13, 22:29
I had hpylori, 2 lots of antibiotics and it fInally went away, but gave terrible thrush. Stomach problems are a pain in the neck.

LittleMissSleepy
17-08-13, 21:51
Only problem I get is b12 deficiency so I supplement with lozenges under my tongue as these type of meds can prevent your stomach from absorbing b12. Other than this they are fine to use.

Sorry to jump in countrygirl but I'm curious to hear more about the lozenges Dazza takes. I've been on Omp for a few years and believe I'm suffering from absorption issues now. What are the suppliments you take ?

It does help with the acid but it doesn't help with other reflux (bile etc).

BTW did you end up taking the Omeprazole Countrygirl ?