PDA

View Full Version : Don't want my doctor to know

Notlrac87
01-07-13, 13:34
I have a health anxiety issue which plagues me on a daily basis, I'm also prone to panic attacks and have been since my early teens. I'm now 26 and about to become a father (woohoo) my fiancé is very supportive of my anxiety but it is really stressful and annoying especially at the mid stages of the pregnancy.

I check in with my doctor only when my fiancé gives the go ahead so that I'm not going in for every sniffle or pain. I also find that I don't want professional help for my health anxiety or panic attacks because I don't want to stop working and hope to join the armed forces. I am now seeing myself getting health anxiety not just for myself but my friends and family too.

I think I'm getting worse but don't know what to do. Anyone had anything similar could do with the advice.

Geestar
01-07-13, 13:41
Although you fiance is helping and supportive I would go to the doctors when ever you want to go :) even if it seems like a small thing to her to you it could be a big deal and thats what doctors are there for :)
As for you not wanting to help help because you want to go into the armed forces you need to think about your mental and physical health before hand and it would be better to get that treated before you made plans for that or things will only get worse! Especially how that kind od work is so stressful anyway.
I know how you feel about health anxiety about other people- I worry about my baby my mum etc all the time and fear their death it is a horrible feeling so maybe you need some councelling :)

I know how you feel!

Shivmarie
01-07-13, 13:47
CBT wont stop you working, i have it. My partner who is in the forces had it a few years back for ptsd and it never conflicted with work, id seek some further help x

Notlrac87
01-07-13, 14:56
Thank you Geestar I'll look a bit more into getting help.

And Shivmarie thank you too but won't cbt stop me from joining military in the first place?

Brunette
01-07-13, 16:14
To be honest I think you need to think long and hard about whether you really want to join the armed forces.

You need to be mentally tough in many situations, even being posted to another country has its stresses and strains, even if you aren't doing anything that puts you at personal risk. And if you want to train to be in combat situations you really have to be the toughest of the tough - there's no hiding place. Have you ever seen recruits go through basic training? Even that can be brutal.

Think about it logically and honestly. If you are prone to panic attacks you could end up being be a danger to yourself and your comrades.

I think you need to see your doctor for your own wellbeing, but I also think you need to accept there is a good chance the armed forces won't take you. I feel for you but I just don't think it's the right direction for you.

Notlrac87
01-07-13, 17:10
When I'm kept mentally busy like at work or driving I never get any anxiety same for after a gruelling gym session its when my mind is allowed to wander that I am overcome so naturally I thought of the military because of the amount you need to be focused on what you are doing and not what's going on in your head

Invisibletouch
01-07-13, 18:01
Hi there.....i do agree with what's been said before. Anxiety feeds on stressful situations and being in the armed forces i think is probably one of the most stressful situations you can be in. How ever busy your day would be, there would also be lots of times for the anxiety to kick in.
I too really think that you need to get proper help, especially as you say its getting worse. Its only natural that you will worry more about your fiance and your coming baby (many congratulations btw).
Please don't think that we are trying to put a downer on what you want to do, but i think its really important that you get the help you need, which will also help you cope better when your new little person arrives. :)

Notlrac87
02-07-13, 09:16
Right so thats me in for the doctors today... thinking positive and calm.
I'll ask about the symptoms I definitely have and the one's I could be imagining.

It's not my usual gp but I trust they are all professionals and will give me solid answers.

I hope to come away with nothing more than tonsillitis but I will have to make sure I do not lead the gp towards it.

Geestar
02-07-13, 14:05
Great!
All the best and hope your appointment has/will go well!

Let it all out and get the help you need :) imaginery symptoms are the same as real symptoms if we feel them psychically :)

Brunette
02-07-13, 15:10
Another thing that occurred to me - the stress of trying to conceal your anxiety may well make you worse.

I can see where you're coming from about focus but there are many jobs which require a high level of concentration but which are not so stressful as being in the armed forces.

I have known people in the army and the RAF and one thing that's common is that can veer from being frenetically busy/dangerous to being utterly boring with nothing to do - and lots and lots of time to think. It's probably about the worst situation a person with anxiety could possibly put themselves in.

Please do reconsider.

Geestar
02-07-13, 16:25
I agree brunette :) keeping your anxiety locked up and hidden will make it worse and prone to outbursts ofover whelming panic!

Dont let youe dream job seem like its not possible though!
Get your health/anxiety sorted first before you make any decisions :)
You have already takeb a few steps forward already joininh here beinh one of then.