PDA

View Full Version : opinions on anxiety meds "changing" you as a person

dug2112
01-07-13, 21:16
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this website and am just looking to start some discussion on a few questions I have had about anxiety medications in general. Due mainly to the adjustment to college in the past two years I have experienced some pretty intense chronic stress. As a result I have experienced pretty severe sleeplessness and anxiety (General and social) and depression. I have been on paxil now for a couple months and at my last doctor's appt my doc added on Busperone in addition to paxil.
This honestly would probably help me a lot but I decided not to start taking it. I am skeptical about starting this specific anti anxiety med because I worry it might change me as a person. It's hard to describe and I'm probably worrying a bit too much but the best way to describe it is that I don't want it to emotionally "numb" me or anything like that so that I'm just walking through life like almost sedated or brainwashed. I dont know. I have heard these worries from other people as well but wanted to see if I could get some more opinions.
Thanks for readin and let me know what you think!

Stormsky
01-07-13, 21:18
Personally I felt emotionless and drugged the whole time ...pretty much zombie like.
But I'm sure others will reply with better experiences

Sparkle1984
01-07-13, 21:40
I've never tried either of those 2 meds so I can't comment on those. I'm on citalopram and I've never found that it's numbed me or changed me as a person. If anything, it's taken me back to my old self. I no longer have so many negative emotions, but I still get just as many positive ones.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

How are you feeling on the paxil? Have you improved since you've been on it?

dug2112
01-07-13, 22:59
ya know, it's really hard to tell. I was also on celexa for about 5 months and I couldn't really tell a significant difference with that one either. So yeah, I guess paxil really isnt doing a lot for me. Being a benzodiazapane, I bet the Busperone would actually help...
Idk, do you know what I mean as far as a med "changing" someone though? Have you ever heard of anyone complain about that?