PDA

View Full Version : Why do Panic attacks feel so intense?

TheScript
01-07-13, 21:21
I know panic attacks are supposed to feel scary but mine feel really intense :mad: i get the anxiety symptoms like nervous stomach, nausea, sweaty palms, dizzy and then if i get a negative thought and i react to it panic just comes pulsing in, with first a hot flash that goes to my head and a feeling something bad is going to happen, i feel out of it, unreal-ish, dizzy, lightheaded, fast heartbeat,

It kinda comes waves and only stops when i can distract myself for long enough and then i'm fine but afterwards i feel drained and i yawn ALOT.

When i have a panick attack i feel like i'm either going to die on the spot or lose my brain or ability to think forever (is that even possible?)... nothing ever happens and i kinda know in the back of my mind that nothing will happen but i can't help but freak out because of the feelings, i've had the exact same panic attack 1000 times before but i still hate it just as much

Any advice please guys?

Stormsky
01-07-13, 21:23
Panic is only adrenaline..you won't be permanently harmed.
It's the anxiety causing it that you need to get under control.

Speranza
01-07-13, 21:26
I think the whole point of a panic attack is that it does feel intense. I imagine most of us on here who have them would describe them pretty much the same as you.

In answer to your question, "why?" - I think it's because panic feeds off itself. I know for me, it has helped enormously simply to mentally step back and say to myself, "This is only a panic attack, I am going to ignore it like a naughty child."

Believe it or not, that begins to help to break the cycle.

B-Brain
01-07-13, 22:54
Hey Script!

What you've described sounds just like the way I feel when I'm panicking. You're right, it is very draining. Even if I don't have a full blown panic attack, a constant level of anxiety over a period of time can also be very draining.

I'm still learning how to deal with it myself. Something that helps me when i feel panic brewing is to keep telling myself: "I'm going to challenge these thoughts by behaving differently this time. I'm going to create new habits and new thought-patterns." That way I'm encouraging myself to carry on my day normally without giving in to fear.

I carry a little note in my wallet with words to that effect written on it, so it's always with me if I need encouragement.

Sandywood
01-07-13, 23:00

Speranza
01-07-13, 23:08
Holy Moley backatya, that was a big answer! :winks:

Sandywood
01-07-13, 23:28

Speranza
01-07-13, 23:38
I liked it. :)