PDA

View Full Version : lung cancer ad and panicing now help

iluvdyl13
02-07-13, 23:03
Ok I know this seems stupid but iv had a cough for a while now an other symptoms and I. have been obsessing over lung cancer for two months now. An ad just came on the tv about lung cancer saying if you have a cough for more than three weeks it could be a sign of lung cancer. Ok this has freaked me the hell out as I seen this on google which Is what made me think I had lc in the first place. Iv never seen that ad befor and im now thinking it's a sign. Stupid I know but im freaked out and I don't know what to do. Iv already had a chest x ray which was fine but thinking they didn't or couldn't see it.

nomorepanic
02-07-13, 23:16
If you have seen the doctor and had an x-ray then it is highly unlikely you have cancer to be honest.

Speranza
03-07-13, 00:22
Do you know, there's an ad on my homepage and I've been wondering who's seen it and begun to worry! As an X-ray is the first test they do for lung cancer it's really REALLY REALLY not likely you have it, is it?

Daft question - do you smoke? Not because of cancer, but because if you do, and if you stop, the cough will go...

aggiecuttler
03-07-13, 07:09
i am sure your cough is just a cough could be hayfever or something similar, if you are a smoker though get checked out could be infection etc blessings

iluvdyl13
04-07-13, 00:46
Thanks for the replys yes I smoke im 22 im givin up with my mother next week thou cas wanna give up for my baby boy.

Speranza
04-07-13, 00:49
Great! :) I think I saw a thread on here somewhere to support people giving up smoking...

PatrickChicago
04-07-13, 10:04
Don't worry. Lung cancer at your age would be exceedingly rare and lung cancer involves tumors that easily show up at "spots" on a X-Ray which is easily seen by doctors.

If having a persistent cough was all it meant to be lung cancer - then that alone would mean I've had lung cancer dozens of times and magically it went away as though it was just bronchitis or other common coughs. Of course, this isn't the case... because tons of things cause persistent coughs :D

I used to smoke a lot more then anyone should, and I remember in my early 20's I got bronchitis for the first time. Coughing up phlegm for weeks and lungs felt like sand paper when I breathed in, to the point you swear you will never smoke again - just terrible.

But it wasn't permanent and it wasn't lung cancer.

There's an old saying that goes like "If you are in Montana and you hear hoofbeats, assume it is a horse coming up on you - not a zebra".

Basically - try to assume the most logical conclusion based on the evidence... and for you, the Xray coming back negative for anything should tell you that it is just a ordinary horse this time, not a zebra.

And make sure you quit smoking, no reason to increase the chance of finding that zebra much later in life.

unsure_about_this
04-07-13, 14:50
I have yet to see the advert of lung cancer on television, but no doubt this will get me worried. even though I don't have a cough.
I worried about everything, no doubt I would want to go to doctors to get myself check out.
I don't smoke but worry about breathing in other people smoke, my dad smokes so I rarely spend time downstairs with my parents. (I still live at home) age 29

andrea15
04-07-13, 15:05
I started off worrying about lung cancer and pushed and pushed for tests. If you read my threads you will see the dire situation this has left me in. Take my advice and let it go. If they were worried they would do more.

iluvdyl13
04-07-13, 17:37
Thanks everyone for your replies im not feeling so bad today which is great. Andrea I read your threads a while back and I know I should let it go but im finding it hard. I would lik to know how that goes for you if you don't mind letting us know or even pm me.

joelhall
04-07-13, 17:51
Thanks for the replys yes I smoke im 22 im givin up with my mother next week thou cas wanna give up for my baby boy.

At that age you will become very sick, very quickly if it were lung cancer (or any other type for that matter).
A cough of course is a sign of.... I can think of over 50 problems off the top of my head (and that's just different illnesses) which have a cough as a symptom. That's not including allergies, medication reaction, inhaled dust, smoking, etc.
Remember - one symptom does not a disease make ;)