PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my mum :( someone help?

Jsp
03-07-13, 00:26
Hi, this is not about me, it's about symptoms my mum has been experiencing. I'm really anxious over it, and I think my mum is worried about it too. Firstly, she does have a history of panic attacks and depression, and she can recognize symptoms of panic attacks, but she does not suffer from day-to-day anxiety. She's 49, smokes and drinks alcohol occasionally. Has never suffered from anything serious in the past.

Anyways, about five times today while we was shopping, and also just around the house, she said she had bad pins and needles in both of her arms and hands, and also at the back of her neck, going into the sides of her ribs. Each time she experienced a dull ache in all of these areas, all lasting about 10 seconds. She had the same thing once about a month ago while in bed, but this is the first time it's come back. Afterwards, she gets a headache on the top and back of her head. She doesn't feel breathless, although her chest feels tight similar to when you would have a panic attack, but has had panic attacks in the past and knows that it's not a panic attack. Sometimes it is worse than other times, but doesn't last very long. The headache still remains afterwards.

I'm really worried it's something to do with her heart :/ her lifestyle isn't very healthy with smoking and eating terribly so I know it could be possible for her to get ill. She hasn't smoked tonight and has stayed away from coffee and has only drunk water and has eaten a few bits, so she's keeping off her unhealthy habits for tonight. She's acting fine other than everything that's gone on, she just says she feels like she has a bit of a headache and is tired, but nothing major I think. I checked her pulse earlier, it seemed to feel regular and at was beating at a normal rate but the beats felt quite strong, but I don't know if this is normal for her.

I'm really worried to leave her alone in the night, in case something happens to her and I need to phone the ambulance or something. I know she's worried about it too, I'm trying to reassure her that it's just a migraine or something and to ring the doctors in the morning, so I hope she does that.

Does anyone know what it could be? Any help would be great.

Speranza
03-07-13, 00:46
Sorry, I don't think anybody is going to be able to tell what is wrong from your description unless they are a doctor... but it sounds as though you have done a good job of reassuring her and trying to make sure she sees the doctor tomorrow. I think that is a good idea.

It might be an idea to give her an aspirin if she can take them, to help any aches and pains, but otherwise a night in her bed is the best thing for her, even if she doesn't sleep, she will be resting her body.

Please let us know how she gets on.

Gill

Jsp
03-07-13, 00:53
Yeah I know. Was just wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms and could shed any light on the situation.

She doesn't tolerate aspirin very well as she suffers from stomach ulcers so they tend to make her sick.

She's in bed at the moment with the dog. I told her to call me if she gets it again or feels worse, as I probably won't be sleeping for a while lol.

Knowing my mum, she won't bother calling the doctor, but I'm going to bug her until she does!

I just hope I've done the right thing by telling her it's ok, when really I should have told her to go to the hospital or something :(

Anxious_gal
03-07-13, 01:09
She might be low in b12, I would get her to take a good multivitamin and see her doctor too maybe : )

Jsp
03-07-13, 01:11
Thanks for your reply. I thought it could be something to do with a deficiency in B12 as her diet is terrible, she might as well just eat cardboard lol. I'm really worried I know I won't be able to sleep tonight :( I hope she's ok

Daisy Sue
03-07-13, 01:21
Hi Jsp... It could be anything from a nerve/muscle issue in her neck, to a panic state, to a deficiency as mentioned, or probably numerous other possibilities too. I'd agree that a check up with the GP very soon would be the way to go, if only to allay any anxiety you and your Mum may have. It's really hard when you're worrying about someone & can't be with them 24/7 - I know - but it sounds like you've checked her out as much as you can tonight, and the fact that she doesn't feel ill, & her pulse is ok, it doesn't sound like an emergency.

If she's reluctant to go the GP, try and put the blame on you - say you won't relax until she's been.. I sometimes have to do this kind of thing with my Mum too.

Good luck :)

Jsp
03-07-13, 03:03
Hi Daisy. Yeah I thought about it possibly being a nerve problem, however I thought this would be unlikely due to the fact that she experienced pins and needles in both of her arms, usually you would just experience it in one. However I suppose it is still likely!

Yeah I think I'll have to do that to convince her :P thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 03:03 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

I'm so worried right now :( just popped in to see her, she was asleep and I could see her breathing. I'm worried she will have a stroke in her sleep or heart attack :( I'm too scared to sleep in case I miss her calling for me.

Speranza
03-07-13, 08:56
You won't miss her. You will be on Mum Mode - we wake if a baby passes wind even after an hour's sleep - it's a Superpower women rarely mention...

Magic
03-07-13, 10:28
Jsp, I agree with what Daisy Sue has said. I cannot add to that