PDA

View Full Version : Worried sick - what are these patches on my upper lip?

ncfcfan85
03-07-13, 11:28
Hi all,

I've been on here many times about health anxiety - I am a proper hypochondriac.

But four or five days ago I was having a shave and I noticed some white-ish dots (can't be seen in the picture) and general white-ish patches on my upper lip. You can't really see them just by looking but if I raise the lip you can clearly see the patches. Very closely you can see small white dots.

I have attached a picture:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/alex_ncfc/IMG_20130703_1100322_zps20008064.jpg

Sadly the picture isn't of great quality and the patches/dots do not look as prominent as they actually do.

What can this be? I don't think it would have been there very long as I am sure I'd have noticed them by now, as I see them as soon as I look in the mirror now. I'm very concerned. I've also got worried because since I've seen them I am convinced that I am not feeling myself (not that I have been feeling myself for a long long time anyway, due to extreme fatigue, which is apparently due to depression, but that's another story I've already posted about on here) but even so I think I feel even worse. Whether it has got into my head that this is something bad and has made me anxious I don't know. I just wish my mind could stop telling me there's something wrong! Since seeing these I have started to notice that I feel:

* A burning sensation on my lips
* A dry mouth
* A burning sensation in general over the body at different areas randomly
* Even more achey and tired than usual

Any advice would be very much appreciated, going out of my mind :(

Thanks

Speranza
03-07-13, 11:59
I guess the only advice I can give is see the doctor... I did once have something similar, I think I assumed in the end t was some freaky lip stretch mark! lol

Darren1
03-07-13, 12:24
Hi all,

I've been on here many times about health anxiety - I am a proper hypochondriac.

But four or five days ago I was having a shave and I noticed some white-ish dots (can't be seen in the picture) and general white-ish patches on my upper lip. You can't really see them just by looking but if I raise the lip you can clearly see the patches. Very closely you can see small white dots.

I have attached a picture:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/alex_ncfc/IMG_20130703_1100322_zps20008064.jpg

Sadly the picture isn't of great quality and the patches/dots do not look as prominent as they actually do.

What can this be? I don't think it would have been there very long as I am sure I'd have noticed them by now, as I see them as soon as I look in the mirror now. I'm very concerned. I've also got worried because since I've seen them I am convinced that I am not feeling myself (not that I have been feeling myself for a long long time anyway, due to extreme fatigue, which is apparently due to depression, but that's another story I've already posted about on here) but even so I think I feel even worse. Whether it has got into my head that this is something bad and has made me anxious I don't know. I just wish my mind could stop telling me there's something wrong! Since seeing these I have started to notice that I feel:

* A burning sensation on my lips
* A dry mouth
* A burning sensation in general over the body at different areas randomly
* Even more achey and tired than usual

Any advice would be very much appreciated, going out of my mind :(

Thanks

Looks like dry lips / dead skin. Do they pick off?

Geestar
03-07-13, 12:43
Hi :)
My stepdad has a similar thing on his lip was who who noticed it actually. He is a perfectly healthy man so im guessing its nothing to worry about :)

I thought it was something to do with pigment fading in the lip?

Your other synptoms are maybe just brought on with your anxiety but u think for peace of mind make an appointment with your doctor.

My opion though its pigment and nothing to worry about :)

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Meant to say it was me who noticed it

Jean18
03-07-13, 15:56
On the lip, the most common spots of the type you describe are sebaceous (oil) glands. These cover the face, but you can't see them against the background of the skin. Against the pink lips, however, they stand out enough to be seen. This is referred to as "Frodyce's condition," after the doctor who described them, they are harmless.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

To help ease ur mind I have never had any of the symptoms u described even when I have an active coldsore

joelhall
03-07-13, 18:48
It's either:
a) nothing at all
b) overuse of antibacterial mouthwash.

The photos are a little blurry but in my opinionit would be a).

Geestar
03-07-13, 19:54
Yes I agree about the mouthwash! My step dad uses listerine everyday and like I said he has it :)

Thats if you use mouthwash............

ncfcfan85
04-07-13, 10:47
Thanks everyone for the replies :)

I do occasionally use mouthwash, and it's quite a cheapo one too...so that may have something to do with it. However I do not use it everyday.

The marks do not peel off, in fact you can't even feel them. I also find it very odd how the lower lip is not effected at all!

I am hoping to book a doctors appointment tomorrow about something else (amitriptyline worries...there's always something!! :( ) so I will ask him about it then, I am still pretty sure they can't have been there long.

I just envy people who are able to get on life without the worry, some people will just see things and shrug them off, but I am constantly worrying about things, which makes me wonder if I am actually looking for things to worry about!

Geestar
05-07-13, 00:46
Yeah its never ending. I totally understand :)

I do feel that the marks on ur lip arent anything serious but I great you are going to get them checked by a professional :)

I know! Why cant we just not worry and get on with it?
I think we do sometimes look for things without realising it.
Keep us up to date what your doc tells you about it.

Take care
X