PDA

View Full Version : Heart worries again!!

KeeKee
03-07-13, 12:28
I have health anxiety centred mainly around my heart. It subsided drastically until recently. I have always had palpitations and since March I've been getting strange aches and pains here and there. I have mentioned this all to the doctor, had an ECG and blood tests (perfectly normal).
However recently I feel as though my chest is 'full' if that makes any sense? I strongly believe it feels like trapped wind although I am scared as I read that Citalopram can cause heart problems and my dosage was increased to 30mg about a month ago. I worry in case it is something bad starting up. My aches and pains are back (albeit very minor).I have just had an appointment with the doctor 7 days ago and said I will set up a repeat prescription and he agreed (I usually go to him for my prescriptions in order to gain some reassurance too) so there is no way I am going back.
I don't think I am going to die or anything as I seriously think its anxiety - if it wasn't then surely Id be dead/in hospital by now?
I kind of just want some reassurance that anxiety can cause this full feeling in chest? Occasionally my central chest and right side around where my bra strap would go also feels tight although I haven't had a panic attack in at least 2 months. Is this normal? Could it be trapped wind? Its been like this for about a fortnight and isn't constant.
I also tend to get numb every night in bed, it always seems to be my left arm though which freaks me out. It can also be both (either/or) my feet. That doesn't worry me though as I know loads of people who get numb whilst sleeping but my arm goes numb occasionally even when I am lying on my right side. My bed is quite uncomfortable but can that cause your whole arm & hand to go numb )not completely numb but numb none the less)?

Im too scared to take my citalopram today in case it is that. I thought I had past this, my palpitations have noticeably decreased and my strange aches had subsided. Now Im scared to even walk fast.

aggiecuttler
03-07-13, 12:45
its not a good idea to not take the tablets this will only make matters worse re your HA if you have had scans etc and they are fine i am sure it will be ok, but if you are still worrying then go back to the gp for guidance blessings

Geestar
03-07-13, 12:53
Hi :)
I would take your citalopram, your doctor wouldnt give it to you if he thought for a second it would put you st risk ( I learnt my lesson reading leaflets!). They only say they can cause heart problems so they have got their back but the likelyhood of this happening is very unlikely.
If you feel seeing your doctor reassures you make an appointment :) thats what they are there for. Explain to your doctor exactly what you have said here and he will be the best person for advice :) in the meantime try and relax.
I have heart anxiety so I know what you are going through :)

KeeKee
03-07-13, 16:58
Thanks guys,

I have an appointment on Monday for something else I might mention it to them. It's so uncomfortable also in my upper stomach. Im starting to feel nauseous, think it's off all the worrying.

joelhall
03-07-13, 18:51
The safe upper limit for citalopram has been reduced to 40mg a day, and the specific cardiac problem it causes (Q-T elongation) does not present like this. To me it sounds more like a gastroitestinal complaint, such as indigestion.

KeeKee
03-07-13, 21:19
Hi Joelhall,

Can indigestion cause chest discomfort? Its uncomfortable when I am sitting down. Its relieved a little now after having my tea and *ahem* going to the loo.
I am also worried about a tumour as it feels as though there's 'something there'??