PDA

View Full Version : Tonsils and aching legs

pAULspybeef
04-07-13, 06:44
Can tonsillitis cause aching limbs? How long foes penicillin take to have maximum effect? Had a fever and my legs have been particularly affected and are achey. Now on anti-bs and less achey but still to a certain degree. Always worry about worst case scenarios! Comments appreciated

Speranza
04-07-13, 10:07
Fevers can cause aching limbs, absolutely. I used to get tonsillitis a lot and it is one of the worst things I ever had. When my older daughter was at Uni I was called to dash and collect her because they thought she had glandular fever and it turned out to be tonsillitis - so absolutely, it could definitely be causing all the other pains.

Drink loads of fluids, and sleep as much as you can. It will get better as it burns out.

The penicillin could take a day or two. If you are still concerned by day Four, call and ask if you are on the right drug. But I bet you will be loads better by then.

joelhall
04-07-13, 15:31
Maximum effect generally is within 5 days with acute tonsilitis.

pAULspybeef
04-07-13, 16:26
Cheers Joe - sorry to swear but HA is a *******!

joelhall
04-07-13, 17:09
You're welcome. And yes.... yes it is... with a capital * :roflmao:

pAULspybeef
05-07-13, 06:41
Feeling a lot better but still achey legs - suppose its normal after being laid low in bed for a good 48h and 3 days without a square meal

Speranza
05-07-13, 10:26
Of course it is. Sounds as though the meds are kicking in. Hope today is a better day. There's nothing like that knitting needle through the ear feeling. :scared15:

pAULspybeef
11-07-13, 22:52
Well antibiotics helped but as soon as I finished course the very sore throat started up again. Sick as a pig. Doc won't refer me....

AuntieMoosie
11-07-13, 23:12
oooh yes tonsilitis can really make you feel rotten to the core!

Thankfully it's been a long time now since I had a bout of it, but I had it quite a lot when I was a child and less so when I reached adulthood.

But I can clearly remember how unwell it makes you feel and it isn't pleasant.

Antibiotics usually did the trick for me nicely, but I have since learned that sometimes it may not be bacterial but viral, in which case it would have to get better on it's own.

A couple of times when I had it in adulthood, I didn't go to my doctors I just let it ride itself out and, to be honest, I found the recovery time much the same as it is with antibiotics, mine cleared up always within a week with or without antibiotics.

Speranza lol that's a brilliant way to put it "knitting needle through the ear" cos that's exactly how it feels, on top of your throat feeling like you're swallowing a mouth full of razor blades!!! oh! the fun!!!! :winks:

Paul what is it that you want your doctor to refer you for, just out of interest??

Maybe just give it a few more days for your tonsils to settle down, they may well still be a bit sore from the infection, but that should settle.

I hope you start to feel better soon :)

Speranza
12-07-13, 00:57
I second Auntie Moosie, I have also been told it will take the same time either way. The only thing is, with antibiotics I always felt that it couldn't get even worse, at least. However I have always tried not to take more antibees than I need.

I expect your doctor is thinking it may be viral... Try to get some nourishment down you even if it's soup...

pAULspybeef
12-07-13, 05:23
I'd like to be referred to have tonsils removed. Doc has told me it is viral - by God it is awful - tonsils up, achey, very very sore throat, sweaty at night, can't be bothered to eat just drinking fluids as its sore. Worst thing is I'm on holiday abroad & it's ruining my time away. I'm just hoping the pain recedes. Like you said it can leave you feeling rotten.

Big-B
12-07-13, 06:44
Have you tried gargling warm salt water ?

pAULspybeef
15-07-13, 21:06
I do from time to time. Should I do this daily? How many times? My latest bout started Thursday 18th July and the first 2-3 days were awful - swallowing daggers, feverish, night sweats, lack of appetite, swollen neck glands. Been bearable since Sunday but I can still feel they're sore, I have a cough, no more night sweats thank God. Doc told me it was viral but keeps recurring so I'm guessing they may be damaged by recurrent bouts of infection. Either way I'd love them to be chopped out and to be rid of the problem!!!