PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding gums?

GirlAfraid23
04-07-13, 15:21
When I brush my teeth, the bottom teeth often bleed :(
Is this something to be concerned about?

joelhall
04-07-13, 15:34
It may be a sign of bacterial infection or early gum disease. Having said that it might be due to mechanical trauma from brushing, although this is less likely.

GirlAfraid23
04-07-13, 15:56
What can I do I if it is either of these?
And will it make me ill?

Jean18
04-07-13, 16:23
Do u brush everyday? Sometimes I get a bit of bleeding if I have left my toothbrush at home and go away fora night. Just go see a dentist if ur really worried, if it is bacterial infection (doubtful coz you'd most likely have other symptoms) they are easy enough to treat

Speranza
04-07-13, 16:31
I have an ongoing problem with my gums, have to work hard to keep them healthy cos my dad's were dreadful. Several dentists have told me that what you need to do when they bleed is pay more attention to that area when you brush. Don't be afraid that brushing will make it worse (NB I don't mean HA-type brushing every hour, just twice a day!)

It is a sign that bacteria are attacking the gums but if you keep them clean they will be fine. In fact you should spend more time brushing the gum margin than the teeth. I got an electric toothbrush and it's incredible what a difference it makes. It won't make you ill, but it's important to have healthy gums. Go and talk to the dentist if you need reassurance,

GirlAfraid23
04-07-13, 16:34
Do u brush everyday? Sometimes I get a bit of bleeding if I have left my toothbrush at home and go away fora night. Just go see a dentist if ur really worried, if it is bacterial infection (doubtful coz you'd most likely have other symptoms) they are easy enough to treat

What would my other symptoms be?

And yes I brush everyday but probably not as well as I should.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

I have an ongoing problem with my gums, have to work hard to keep them healthy cos my dad's were dreadful. Several dentists have told me that what you need to do when they bleed is pay more attention to that area when you brush. Don't be afraid that brushing will make it worse (NB I don't mean HA-type brushing every hour, just twice a day!)

It is a sign that bacteria are attacking the gums but if you keep them clean they will be fine. In fact you should spend more time brushing the gum margin than the teeth. I got an electric toothbrush and it's incredible what a difference it makes. It won't make you ill, but it's important to have healthy gums. Go and talk to the dentist if you need reassurance,

The problem is I'm petrified of dentists, haven't been in a very long time.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Oh and I have also recently changed my toothbrush, could this be part of it?

Jean18
04-07-13, 16:36
Red, swollen or tender gums or other pain in your mouth, Loose or separating teeth, Pus between your gums and teeth, Sores in your mouth, Persistent bad breath- stuff that u are unlikely not to notice. If u brush ur teeth regularly then there's no reason for u to suspect bacteria. Just buy a softer toothbrush perhaps

PatrickChicago
04-07-13, 16:38
It can be a number of things - from infection to gum disease to you just plain brushing too hard.

Best bet is to make a appointment with a dentist.

That said, if it is early gum disease like gingivitis, or anything like that - don't panic. It is literally one of the most common "diseases" people get. And all it means is that you need to start taking better care of your teeth by brushing 2x a day, flossing, etc. Nothing to work yourself up about, most people have it at some point - it goes away quick enough and shouldn't cause you serious worry.

GirlAfraid23
04-07-13, 16:39
Red, swollen or tender gums or other pain in your mouth, Loose or separating teeth, Pus between your gums and teeth, Sores in your mouth, Persistent bad breath- stuff that u are unlikely not to notice. If u brush ur teeth regularly then there's no reason for u to suspect bacteria. Just buy a softer toothbrush perhaps

I do get sores in my mouth from time to time, no pus or loose teeth.
I don't think I have bad breath...just normal.
The only thing I have is tender/bleeding gums on the bottom set.

PatrickChicago
04-07-13, 16:42
And I understand you are petrified of dentists - but that is the surefire way to get your bleeding gums checked out and get professional advice on how to make it go away quickest.

Again, I'm sure you are going to be 100% fine - we've all been there with bad mouth heath. It happens. Time to start paying more attention to your mouth and give it a week of good hygiene and see if it gets a bit better?

GirlAfraid23
04-07-13, 16:45
And I understand you are petrified of dentists - but that is the surefire way to get your bleeding gums checked out and get professional advice on how to make it go away quickest.

Again, I'm sure you are going to be 100% fine - we've all been there with bad mouth heath. It happens. Time to start paying more attention to your mouth and give it a week of good hygiene and see if it gets a bit better?

Ok I think I'm gonna buy a soft toothbrush tomorrow, start brushing them better until next Thursday then if they're still bad, make an appointment :(

joelhall
04-07-13, 17:06
What would my other symptoms be?

And yes I brush everyday but probably not as well as I should.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

The problem is I'm petrified of dentists, haven't been in a very long time.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Oh and I have also recently changed my toothbrush, could this be part of it?

Symptoms can vary, usually the only sign is some light bleeding. It really depends how far it has progressed. With infection, there may be pain or inflammation/abscess.
There's an outside change the toothbrush may be the cause - if it has particularly stiff bristles or you are using more pressure than normal and pushing the gums back.

What can I do I if it is either of these?
And will it make me ill?

Not particularly. Sometimes infection may cause a mild fever and pain, but in the western world treatments for dental infections are very, very effective.
Your best bet is simply to brush regularly (not right after meals however), and to use floss or tape to clean between the teeth. In cases of infection a saline mouthwash is easy to prepare.

GirlAfraid23
04-07-13, 17:15
Symptoms can vary, usually the only sign is some light bleeding. It really depends how far it has progressed. With infection, there may be pain or inflammation/abscess.
There's an outside change the toothbrush may be the cause - if it has particularly stiff bristles or you are using more pressure than normal and pushing the gums back.

Not particularly. Sometimes infection may cause a mild fever and pain, but in the western world treatments for dental infections are very, very effective.
Your best bet is simply to brush regularly (not right after meals however), and to use floss or tape to clean between the teeth. In cases of infection a saline mouthwash is easy to prepare.

How do I prepare a saline mouth wash?

joelhall
04-07-13, 17:19
Boil water, pour into a cup and mix about half a teaspoon of salt in it (so it's as close to 0.9% saline as possible). Then let it cool to room temperature under cover such as cling film to help it stay clean.