PDA

View Full Version : swollen fingers- advice please.

Geestar
05-07-13, 00:54
Hi everyone.

I have swollen fingers, I have for a couple of months now. I mentined it to my doc (along with other thinhs at the time). He took a blood test not just for that. But ever since he hasnt asked about it again. I kind of stopped worrying about it but tonight the worry has came back :( he seemed concerned it was a gradual thing and I dont know why.

I have had to get a ring cut off and I can no longer wear another. My thumb ring feels tight but still wearable.

Just really worried :( I had it before I was on my medication so cant be a side effect. I dont have swollen ankles but I did for a week on holiday. (Just over a month ago).

I wouldnt say it was extreme swelling buy enough to be concerned.

Thanks any advice/if anyone gets this is appreciated :)

X

Speranza
05-07-13, 10:36
Mine don't swell to that extent but they do swell. Are you on any meds? And what age group are you? Because of my family history, two doctors have tested me for Rheumatoid Arthritis - which it isn't, I'm glad to say. It must be quite a common thing I think, but yours sounds quite extreme. Do you have any food allergies which could cause bloating?

Geestar
05-07-13, 10:59
Hi, im 23.
No I dont have any allergies (that im aware of anyway). A family member once said to me that my fingers often do look 'puffy' but I havent really paid much attention until now.

My hands are often warm and clammy apparently due to my anxiety. Do you think that could cause them to swell?

Speranza
05-07-13, 11:16
I'm afraid I have no idea... it seems from reading these forums that anxiety can do pretty much anything except make you look thirty years younger and have the figure of Claudia Schiffer. <sigh>

yenool
05-07-13, 11:43
Hi,
are they stiff or painful when the swell?

My hands get a bit stiff and sore and when I mention it to family they also say they are a bit 'puffy'. All tests 'normal' so I came to the conclusion it is perhaps a mild inflammation or irritation caused by something in the environment. - Hot weather, too much salty food, irritation by soap.... who knows, but certainly unlikely to be serious anyway.

I would want to know the results from the blood tests for reassurance but usually the GP will contact you if anything is abnormal anyway.

Col
05-07-13, 11:50
Hi geester, it's summer so a lot of people will see a higher incidence of swelling due to heat. Increased blood flow to the surface of the skin.

Also, it could be blood pressure related, retention of fluid also linked to kidneys. Weight gain and age can be related , also.

Funnily enough, drinking more fluid might help.

Elevate your hands and riggle your fingers.

Go see GP if it continues.:flowers:

Speranza
05-07-13, 11:52
He will probably have checked you for markers for inflammation. I can only think this is pretty common as they really don't seem that concerned. I don't have allergies but I do have reactions triggered by certain foods I think. I notice all these things are worse after I've had wheat (especially bread) and alcohol.

Geestar
05-07-13, 12:41
Hi thanks for the replies.

No they arent painfull as such. Maybe a little achey.
I do eat salt on food and have high blood pressure so they are probs contributing factors.
My blood results were normal apart from enlarged white blood cells. I dont know what that means.

I just googled how to elavate fingers- wish I hadnt!!
Found that a cause is due to heart failure :(
Soo worried now.

Col
05-07-13, 13:57
Hi thanks for the replies.

No they arent painfull as such. Maybe a little achey.
I do eat salt on food and have high blood pressure so they are probs contributing factors.
My blood results were normal apart from enlarged white blood cells. I dont know what that means.

I just googled how to elavate fingers- wish I hadnt!!
Found that a cause is due to heart failure :(
Soo worried now.

Hi again - never google symptoms :ohmy:

I'm pregnant and got a book about general swelling and how to reduce it, hence my suggestion.

I'm sure as Speranza said, I'm sure something would have come back from your recent blood tests:hugs:

Magic
05-07-13, 15:03
I have swollen fingers, I think it is due to arthritis. It comes and goes. I think my age has something to do with it.
I had my wedding ring stretched once. It was ok at first-now it is just as bad.
I may take it off just in case. I think the warm weather makes it worse.
If anyone on here is thinking of having a ring stretched. Don't do it. Takes away
the thickness.
Geestar, Maybe the blood tests will give results for you:hugs:

joelhall
05-07-13, 15:23
Edema certainly can be due to congestive heart failure, but this seems unlikely as this would be fairly simple for your doctor diagnose. Swelling of the extremities can be a symptom of hypertension, which you've mentioned you have. Do your hands get tired quicker lately when doing manual tasks?

The enlarged WBCs are a typical sign of infection or allergy, although this depends on the type of WBC which is actually enlarged. Given the sweeling, I would be tempted to assume monoctye/macrophage enlargement which is a sign of inflammation and localised infection in tissues.

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Anxiety of course will NOT cause this symptom.