PDA

View Full Version : Bailiff nightmare!

R.Barratt
05-07-13, 12:49
Hello.
Basically my partner got fined £400 and his dad who lives in Afghanistan agreed to pay it but for whatever reason the payment didnt go through and now the fine has gone up to over £600. And we are being threatened by bailiffs.
We are both students who are estranged from our families and we have no idea what to do. I a panicking so much and cant eat or sleep. I dont know what we will do if we are left with nothing in my home.
They are coming back in a few days and i am obviously incredibly stressed. As i have no money or savings and i am now going to be left with no fridge washing machine or anything

Gotagetthroughthis
05-07-13, 13:33
First of all are these Bailiffs from the courts or from a desperate company as if they haven't been through the courts and gotten a county court Judgement against you then I don't think they can do anything.

Many companies use so called Bailiffs but they are not actually bailiffs and they have no power to do anything at all. They are just used to worry and scare people so much that they end up paying the money owed.

I get threatened with Bailiffs every day for months and months because of my debts but nothing ever happens. Untill the companies I owe money go to court about the issue they dont really have any power.

Who is the money owed to is it the government or a company?

gypcyg
05-07-13, 13:39
first join and read this site and ask for help in the forum http://www.getoutofdebtfree.org/

secondly are you being chased by a baliff or a debt collector http://www.gregorypennington.co.uk/debt-management-blog/948/bailiffs-debt-collectors.asp

thirdly look at the videos on youtube (type baliff into google)

If its a court order (the debt) then, unless the paperwork has been filled in incorrectly, it needs to be sorted - phone them up and get the debt reduced back to the original sum owed (this is quite easy) then start a payment plan.

Finally, don't worry, its only a debt.

KeeKee
05-07-13, 14:50
I agree with gypcyg, don't worry! I am in thousands of £1's debt due to me being a stupid 19 years old who was able to get credit cards, loans and catalogues galore (which I think should be illegal in certain circumstances - I was depressed AND on the sick yet still managed to get all these)!
I still haven't been taken to court (other than for rent arrears which is different as this is apparently your most important debt and this includes food, electricity etc). They can basically do nothing but hound you. Try Citizens Advice they really helped me out, I was able to pay £2 each per month and my debt was in the thousands!

R.Barratt
05-07-13, 18:17
OK thank you for the advice everyone i will look into y options as i am less panicky and stressed now so i am ore open minded to look into my options :) xxx