PDA

View Full Version : Hair pulling

Shelly15
05-07-13, 14:03
I have been pulling my hair out for 3years now its worse when I'm really anxious as I suffer health anxiety. It's so bad now I have bald patches all over my head. My arms ache my scalp hurts and my muscles in my head and neck ache all the time. I've recently been feeling off balance I don't no if its to do with me pulling my hair out or anxiety making me feel off balance but its making me think I have a bad illness.

Invisibletouch
05-07-13, 16:58
Im sorry you're going through this. I'm sure that everything you describe is a combination of both the hair pulling and anxiety. Are you getting any help for this??

Shelly15
05-07-13, 17:46
I'm doing CBT for my health anxiety, which was helping me not pull my hair so much but its not really helping anymore. I went to my gp and said I can't control pulling my hair and she just says its part of anxiety, not really helpful at all. It's a vicious cycle I'm in, I feel depressed cos I pull my hair and I pull my hair cos I'm so anxious.

Invisibletouch
06-07-13, 10:28
Maybe mention to your CBT Therapist what's happening, that it was helping and now doesn't seem to be. In our area we have Intensive OCD Therapists i don't know if you have anything like that? Your Gp doesn't sound helpful, is there another Dr in your practice that you could go to for a second opinion?.

Shelly15
06-07-13, 11:06
I've spoke to my therapist but I said I want to focus on the health anxiety first then the hair pulling but I only have 3 sessions left and we have spoke about hair pulling for about 10mins and what she was saying wasent very helpful. I have t really looked in to OCD therapists as I haven't been diagnosed with it, I've spoke to 3 different gps and all I then say its anxiety and that's it. It is really frustrating I feel like no one really wants to help me or is listening to me.