PDA

View Full Version : Trace of blood in urine

sunflower7
05-07-13, 16:07
I'm so scared, I have tested my urine over the last 2 days and there is a trace of blood in it on and off :weep:. I'm worried its bladder or kidney cancer as I know bleeding can come and go. Im 39 female and non smoker. Scared :weep:

joelhall
05-07-13, 16:11
The most common cause of haematuria is cystitis or UTI. This will have to be investigated by your doctor, although make sure the test strips are not contaminated and the blood is indeed coming from the urinary tract.

nomorepanic
05-07-13, 16:12
Women get this more than men.

I have had it several times and when they send the sample off for further testing it is fine.

Why are you testing your own urine at home can I ask?

sunflower7
05-07-13, 16:15
Thanks, I test my urine as I have an irritable bladder and like to make sure there is no infection and its usually clear. The Doctor says its not an infection. Am scared and going away on hol tomorrow. Worried I won't enjoy it.

joelhall
05-07-13, 16:17
Thanks, I test my urine as I have an irritable bladder and like to make sure there is no infection and its usually clear. The Doctor says its not an infection. Am scared and going away on hol tomorrow. Worried I won't enjoy it.
If there's no infection, there is no need to worry. How old are you out of interest?

Marni
05-07-13, 16:17
I was peeing and it was like black current juice! I freaked and called an ambulance, I was so shocked. I got too hospital and they suspected infection but I didn't have symptoms. They checked my urine and it was fine but I had phase 3 blood and that means ALOT. I then had to have a ct scan to check my kidneys, ureters, bladder, basically my whole pelvis too see if there was any blockage. Nothing, everything was perfect. I never got a reason for it and it went away by the time I was tested a week later.
I only realised a few months ago that it was probably either by me tensing during my Pap smear that day, or maybe I had bruises kidneys from motorbike riding the day before. I'd also held in a pee for over an over. This happened 5 years ago and I'm fine now :)

sunflower7
05-07-13, 16:18
Thanks everyone, I'm 39

joelhall
05-07-13, 16:23
I was peeing and it was like black current juice! I freaked and called an ambulance, I was so shocked. I got too hospital and they suspected infection but I didn't have symptoms. They checked my urine and it was fine but I had phase 3 blood and that means ALOT. I then had to have a ct scan to check my kidneys, ureters, bladder, basically my whole pelvis too see if there was any blockage. Nothing, everything was perfect. I never got a reason for it and it went away by the time I was tested a week later.
I only realised a few months ago that it was probably either by me tensing during my Pap smear that day, or maybe I had bruises kidneys from motorbike riding the day before. I'd also held in a pee for over an over. This happened 5 years ago and I'm fine now :)
If you had muscle damage, then it may have been rhabdomyolysis, which typically turns urine the colour of tea or cola. This is myoglobin in the urine and not blood, but it will test positive for blood, due to the iron content. The only way it is usually differentiated is by microscopy, as there will be no RBCs present.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Thanks everyone, I'm 39
Generally it is not considered a risk of UT cancers under 40, and usually over 50. Generally, if there is invisible haematuria with no protein in the urine, then it is benign.

Speranza
05-07-13, 17:12
Have you had any beetroot in salad?

Marni
06-07-13, 11:59
[QUOTE=joelhall;1183046]If you had muscle damage, then it may have been rhabdomyolysis, which typically turns urine the colour of tea or cola. This is myoglobin in the urine and not blood, but it will test positive for blood, due to the iron content. The only way it is usually differentiated is by microscopy, as there will be no RBCs present.[COLOR="blue"]

Is that a dangerous thing too happen?

joelhall
06-07-13, 15:22
Only dangerous if there is substantial damage as it can lead to acute renal failure. If this was the case of course, you'd have ended up very sick, so you're quite safe. Usually it only becomes a problem for people such as extremely dehydrated marathon runners, or people involved in acute trauma such as car crashes, with extreme muscle damage. Otherwise it is pretty easily treated with saline and drinking a bit of water.

Marni
06-07-13, 17:26
Ok cool, thankyou for the info :) this happened years ago so I am fine, I also had my kidneys checked again and today's results were perfect.