PDA

View Full Version : Purple lump on calf... DVT?

Anxiety Jim
06-07-13, 02:58
Hi,

I've got a purple / blue / red what seems to be collection of veins, in a lump on my right calf, it's a bit saw to the touch it doesn't feel particularly hot to the touch or anything though.

Could this be a DVT? The total area of these purple veins is about the size of a 50 pence.

I've now worked myself into a panic thinking it's a DVT and I can't get to sleep thinking part of the clot is going to break off in my sleep.

I saw my GP today for a follow up after a blood test and 24 ECG, and she said I was a low cardiac risk. Not diabetic, cholesterol fine, etc. And I was feeling quite happy and revealed and now THIS, I barely got a few panic free hours... :weep:

Speranza
06-07-13, 07:34
Whenever this happens to me, I eventually remember catching my leg on something. It is very probably a bruise. If it was a DVT, you would be through the roof when you touched it.

jasonp
06-07-13, 09:25
A collection of veins sounds to me very much like varicose veins. These are incredibly common...

Marni
06-07-13, 11:56
I would say varicose veins too, I get that behind my knees

Anxiety Jim
06-07-13, 12:03
Hi everyone,

thanks for the replies, I don't think it's varicose veins, the veins are quite thin, but the whole area is a lump...

Speranza
06-07-13, 12:48
Then see the doctor. I would say it's almost definitely not a thrombosis. but I'm NOT a doctor! I also have a patch of little veins behind my knee, it seems quite common. I guess there is a lot of wear and tear in that area. And as people have said, varicose veins. Which are harmless.

Get it checked if it is freaking you.

joelhall
06-07-13, 15:29
Your description doesn't sound like either DVT or varicose veins, but something related to the latter called spider veins. Exactly how swollen is the area, is the skin shiny or red? If so, and the area feels fluid-filled, it may be a localised infection.

Geestar
06-07-13, 16:02
I get little collections of surface veins. I get them anywhere on my body.

Sometimes they do come with a little lump.

If they arent sore im sure its nothing to worry about. A clot is hot to touch.
Cosmetically it might concern you but it will probably go away in time :)
Mention to doctor next time you go in :)

G

x.