PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts

theharvestmouse
07-07-13, 21:09
I have really been struggling with intrusive thoughts lately, and even when I am busy doing things they pop into my head. I try to tell my mind that they are useless and not rational thoughts but its so difficult to ignore them and let them spiral.

What do people do to try to overcome the thoughts, its like they have got so much worse lately, I wen't for a while managing to not let them affect me but I can't remember how I did that now.

:wacko:

jackie13
07-07-13, 22:17
Hi hun

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with this at the moment.

Intrusive thoughts used to really bring on my anxiety, still do occasionally. I used to think "they are only thoughts ignore them", then I realised that even this statement was giving them too much importance. If they bother me now I completely let them float my, unless my anxiety is really bad and then it is hard work:(

I do feel for you as this is one of the many features of anxiety that I really hate. Don't even acknowledge them hun, let them float on past:)

Sending you big hugs xxxx

Meg
07-07-13, 23:10
Distraction distraction distraction .. full on distraction. Then you will realize thats its been 20 mins without those thoughts, then 40.
Then its easier to push them away rationally by evidence based facts to convince yourself that when your brain is busy elsewhere there is no room for these thoughts

theharvestmouse
07-07-13, 23:44
Thanks, I will try to just let them pass, easier said than done.

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

:)