PDA

View Full Version : is this shortness of breath

RVP
07-07-13, 21:39
every time i cough i will always yawn few seconds or minutes after it. This has been going on since last night..not sure if its shortness of breathe or just anxiety kicking in again.
Thanks.
or instead of a yawn ill take in a deep breath

Freaked
07-07-13, 23:03
Sounds very much like a good old hyperventilation issue to me. Yawning or gulping deep breaths are two of its main signs. True causes of shortness of breath (ie not actually getting enough oxygen) are normally things like pneumonia, asthma, tb, lung cancer, pulmonary embolism and heart failure, amongst other major things iirc. Basically, things you would have noticed. Sometimes shortness of breath on exertion can be a sign of coronary artery disease, but that's not what you're describing, and it can also be simple unfitness.

So try not to worry, and if you think your breathing issues might be down to a cough, you could ask your doc to check you out.

But it's amazing what hyperventilation can do. I've had times where my whole body's been numb and it felt like I was getting no air, and when they hooked me up to a monitor my oxygen was 100%. I wasn't even breathing noticeably fast.