PDA

View Full Version : how long do you leave your symptoms unchecked before gong to the Doctors?

saturdayschild
08-07-13, 09:27
Hi Guys

I've been OK with the HA for a good six months or so, even managed to book myself a smear test and an over-40's health check but then at the beginning of April it came back with a vengance.

I have been to the Doc's four times since april and recently been prescribed beta blockers which do help with the panic attacks. Next appointment is next monday 15th and I am trying to hold out until then as I want to see the specific Dr, the first one I have found to be sympathetic. However, every day a new pain arrives or moves to somewhere else, I am taking painkillers daily.

It started with very tender rib cage/ breastbone (which I thought was costchrondritis) but was dismissed as "nothing to worry about". Then it was chest pains,stomach pains and panic attacks - diagnosed anxiety and high blood pressure. Both of these did resolve.

Then I think I might have had a few days/ weeks of no pain but then started to get pains in legs, glands in chest swelled up, glands back of head swelled up. Weird sensations, like pulses or a pain that would come and then go. Nothing permanent, they would move about from one leg to th other and then to arms, hips. Loads of places just hurt of press on but no lumps. This time saw the sympathetic Dr and was told all anxiety but I could have the beta blockers. Felt a bit better, glands went down, still a few roaming pains and still painful areas to touch, more now even. Then I got cold, felt really run down. Now I have got pain in left side, ovary area (could be PMT - am perimenopausal, have had this before a lot), pain under left rib and so so anxious.

I really want to stick it out til the booked appointment but wonder if I should try to get earlier one, it would not be with same Dr. If I think about it,looking at what I have just wrote I have had most, in fact all, of these symptoms before and they have come and gone. perhaps it is just the HA but i m convinced it is the Big C. I have had no tests at all, trouble is once they think you have anxiety they just put everything down to that, HA.

Darren1
08-07-13, 09:48
four times since april doesnt seem like too much to me. i've been once a week for almost 8 weeks lol

some of your pains sound like mine - rib cage, glands, pulses etc. mine can ease but never settle.

normal bloods, doctors dont seem to have a clue.

saturdayschild
08-07-13, 10:06
Hi Darren
Thanks for replying, its good to know that there are other people out there suffering the same. I do sometimes wonder if the Doc's know what to do with HA and they seem really reluctant to organise any sort of tests. Maybe i should be more assertive? Usually just an apologetic crying wreck. I'm sure they have written me off as a menopausal middle aged hypochondriac - i think my husband has! lol
I am going to stick it out til my booked appointment I think.
I hope you get some answers soon.

unsure_about_this
08-07-13, 10:54
I am always going to the doctors, been quite good lately not been 20th May 2013. but did have a test on 5th June 2013 since I had abdominal problems, even though I got given CT scan and ultrasound nothing was seen, I been worried about bowel cancer and my poop a lot, all started with the advert and my dad going for his screening poop sample, which came back fine in 2012.

I have got bad HA. This year I have already lost count how many times I have been. even though I have tests done and everything is fine.
I am scared 29 year old about cancer symptoms (even though most likely it is something else) I always getting myself checked out. I have still every doctor in the GP practise in the last 12 months. I have worried about have I got bowel, pancreatic, stomach, liver, brain, heart etc cancer or disease. (more scary I worry about the cancers females can only get)

I been told I am hypercondriac (not by doctors, but my parents) and need to stop worrying, but I am on my way to get CBT help, had a pre appointment last month.