PDA

View Full Version : WOW - so many of us! Read my story...

goawaypanic
08-07-13, 15:39
Hello
Wow, there are so many of us!! New on here today, so thought I'd introduce myself as the title suggests.
I'm a long term sufferer of anxiety. Since Year 8 at school (17 years ago) I always had to stand outside the assembly hall because I feared feeling ill and having to stand up in front of everyone and walk out. I wish someone had addressed the problem then and not let it fester in to what it's become, but they didn't, I didn't, and it did. Apart from that, and the thought of flying (didn't fly for the first time until 10 years later) my anxiety wasn't too bad. I got on with everyday normal life. When I got a job after A levels at school, I had to commute by bus. At first, I always took a plastic bag on with me in case I was sick. Eventually, I didn't need the bag and the journeys were less anxious. So, generally speaking, life seemed bearable.
I had a daughter two years ago and at first I loved being on maternity leave. I enjoyed walking the half an hour walk into town, getting the bus back up the hill. I enjoyed meeting friends for coffee and going to the park. I enjoyed weekend trips to see my parents driving on the motorway. About 10 months later, I had, out of the blue, one almighty panic attack on the motorway on the way to my mum's (this was about a year ago) and I've not done that journey on my own since. The extra responsibility of having my daughter in the car, of fearing the need to stop halfway there and being stuck on the motorway, topped by visions of getting stuck in standstill traffic all kept me away from making the journey.
Now, I can't walk into town because I like to have a car near me, I can't enjoy days out with my husband and daughter, and my life has taken a real turn for the worst as I can't seem to look forward to anything anymore in case I panic, or wet myself, or go crazy! I've had therapy, which was a good eye opener, but it's putting it into practice that is the hardest thing for me. I know that I must acclimatise myself to the situations that make me fearful in order for the misconceptions to subside, but it's blimmin' difficult to do!!
Anyway, that's me in rather a large nutshell. HELLO wonderful people!!

Tufty
08-07-13, 16:55
:welcome: and thank you for sharing your story. You're right challenging your fears is hard to do but will be so worth it in the end.

Keep at it and it will get easier. We can all recover from anxiety

Sam

kittikat
08-07-13, 19:35
Hello & :welcome:

Lots here will relate to your story...I hope you find some comfort in knowing you are not alone in your fears. This site is a wealth of information and lovely people, I am sure it will help you to take the next step forward.

Good luck, Kitti :)

Mark13
08-07-13, 22:25
Hi. I'm sure you'll be glad you joined.

There's plenty of advice and support here.

You're not alone.

All the best.

lollypopgirl1981
08-07-13, 23:13
hi and welcome... just wanted to say im glad u found this site itssaved me so many times when in a panic...and also knowing and reading other people anxiety makes u think " ok so it is anxiety and i can do the things i want and do it make yourself do the things u want. .i felt like you...everyday thingstaking my daughter whos 4 to the park was a no no... but oneday i said noway am i going to let something in my head telling me i shouldnt go to park incase something happens going to stop my daughter having fun...nothing happened at home for the 5 hrs before i got to park...so made myself go even feelibg lightheaded and dizzy i went and felt great when we got home.....sorry for going on..excuse spelking and typing mistakes im on mobile and its hard to change mistakes...good luck x

SarahH
11-07-13, 16:08
Hi Welcome,

If you click on "my Story" on the left hand side of the page you can read "Nicola's Story" which is VERY like yours. it may help.

Sarah