PDA

View Full Version : Learn how to play an instrument

JoeM89
08-07-13, 19:19
I started learning the guitar around the same time I got diagnosed with anxiety/panic and it's helped me tremendously. It gives your mind something to really focus on and you get a real sense of self-worth and satisfaction when you learn how to play a new song! :)

Speranza
10-07-13, 05:07
I think that's how I got through my incredibly anxious childhood. I actually saw my piano as a friend. Sad but true! :)

cymraig_chris
05-08-13, 22:50
Any musical instrument is great, it doesn't matter whether you consider yourself competent or not, the only thing that matters is that you enjoy it.

Stormsky
05-08-13, 23:00
I've been playing guitar for 40 yrs!

cymraig_chris
05-08-13, 23:05
Guitar is my favourite too.

Edward_1980
08-08-13, 15:16
I'd love to take up piano and play "Julia's Theme" from EastEnders.

purgatory
08-08-13, 16:27
I brought a guitar last year I looked at it and put it away in a wardrobe :(

I keep on going to get it out but I'm not to sure I have a musical bone in my body.. Any advice on a good place online to learn the guitar

bagpuss75
08-08-13, 17:03
Great tip.
I play flute in a local concert band and find it really helpful to 'escape' from my head for a while. And I have some simply amazing friends in that band, who have helped no end.

mikejames
12-08-13, 09:49
hey any of you lot live in Leeds area - I do piano lessons mates rates for you guys - it is a great distraction xxxxxxxxxxx

Eyji1
14-08-13, 23:12
It has helped me tremendously playing the drums. It's both a good release of energy, it keeps my mind completely occupied and it's also pretty good exercise.

Granny Primark
15-08-13, 00:51
Ive always wanted to play the fiddle!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
No seriously I think its a brill idea. My daughter played piano, cello and recorder. However ive got limited use of my write hand.

---------- Post added at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:50 ----------

right hand sorry.

Si
07-09-13, 08:03
I did the same, got a guitar to focus the mind on something. I also took up golf. But when I have bad periods I seem to have too much adrenaline and golf becomes a struggle.

Tessar
07-09-13, 08:15
speranza, I tinkle the ivories as well. well, I say that but how often to I get to play? or rather how often do I make an effort to play..... not often enough is the answer. learning an instrument is really worthwhile. i'd encourage anyone to do it. i'm ok with piano music, but even though i'd like to learn, I don't seem have the right mindset to learn guitar, the music seems like double-dutch to me.

---------- Post added at 08:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

hey any of you lot live in Leeds area - I do piano lessons mates rates for you guys - it is a great distraction xxxxxxxxxxx
I wish you lived in the south!

---------- Post added at 08:15 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

right, that's it here comes the piano.

Col
07-09-13, 19:47
Ahhh I'm possibly just a little too far out Mikejames - Im in Sheffield.:weep:

markbrown
11-10-13, 08:21
Well you have a wonderful plan to relieve your mind from anxiety and panic attack.. You know? This type of activities really helps to decrease our monthly depression which is the main cause for anxiety and panic attack.. You can get help from the google because there is so many site google have regarding instrument training..

Rennie1989
11-10-13, 11:33
My husband is yet to teach me how to play the guitar. We have one accoustic and three electric guitars in our flat, not to mention how many he has in the garage and at his parents! I'll nudge him later.

I re-taught myself to knit and I'm over half way through knitting my blanket :)

Tessar
12-10-13, 09:23
I feel inspired and am going to tinkle the ivories!