PDA

View Full Version : sigh.... Lyme disease panic.

yenool
08-07-13, 20:49
OK so lately I have been walking my dog around the local lake & nature reserve. It is lovely and quiet but with lots of long grass & wild flowers it is as expected covered in bugs, wasps, bees, etc.

I have been bitten in a couple of places by something and it is incredibly itchy and has this weird rash - like a circle with a darker bit (where the bite was I assume?) in the middle.

Obviously I've google'd this and Dr Google is telling me I could have lyme disease via a tick bite?

Here are some pictures of the very unimpressive bites on my arms:http://www.screencast.com/t/LdSrtqGA

Anyone care reassure me? thanks

edit: oh and this is what I'm scaring myself with obviously:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/lyme-disease-rash

Gee
08-07-13, 21:01
Welcome to my world! I'm obsessed with this right now, I have a private test on the 17th everyone thinks I'm wrong, my bite didn't have the 'typical' bulls eye rash but the symptoms I've had since have been so odd and unexplainable - if I were you I'd get the doctors to give you antibiotics - better safe than sorry - they can't harm you and it could save any further problems - they will probably give them to u because of the look of the bite and the worry, just in case - let us know how u get on x

yenool
08-07-13, 21:11
Welcome to my world! I'm obsessed with this right now, I have a private test on the 17th everyone thinks I'm wrong, my bite didn't have the 'typical' bulls eye rash but the symptoms I've had since have been so odd and unexplainable - if I were you I'd get the doctors to give you antibiotics - better safe than sorry - they can't harm you and it could save any further problems - they will probably give them to u because of the look of the bite and the worry, just in case - let us know how u get on x

Yeah, but I would be in a panic about having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics though. Unless it was one I had taken before like penicillin, erythromycin, cephalexin, etc!

Plus it seems to be a waste of a time to visit the doctor for such a trival little rash/insect bite when I have no symptoms but itching (and anxiety of course!!!)

I'm trying to be rational but failing....

Gee
08-07-13, 21:14
I know what you mean and I think it's just a normal bite! BUT I wish I had go e to the doc earlier and saved the stress I've had for the last year :(

Tish
09-07-13, 07:57
This is my obsession at the moment because I walk my dogs through fields and woods and I wear sandals and short trousers at this time of year. I'm not one to run to the doctors with every little ailment but I wouldn't hesitate if I had that rash. The people who have gone on to suffer with lyme disease all say they wish they'd gone straight to their GP as soon as they'd seen the rash.

Catalyst
09-07-13, 09:29
I agree. Personally, if I had that rash I would be going to see my doctor just to be safe.

I was actually treated for Lyme Disease last summer. 2 weeks of medication (and I was worried about having a reaction, but I didn't!) and it wasn't too bad really. Just got sick once because I think I took a tablet on an empty stomach - my mistake!

I should say that I didn't actually have the rash, but I definitely had a tick bite (the doctor had to remove the tick!!) but then I started getting ill, so the treatment was a precaution. Far better than the long term implications of not getting early treatment. Just my opinion though. good luck :)

yenool
09-07-13, 10:28
I agree. Personally, if I had that rash I would be going to see my doctor just to be safe.

I was actually treated for Lyme Disease last summer. 2 weeks of medication (and I was worried about having a reaction, but I didn't!) and it wasn't too bad really. Just got sick once because I think I took a tablet on an empty stomach - my mistake!

I should say that I didn't actually have the rash, but I definitely had a tick bite (the doctor had to remove the tick!!) but then I started getting ill, so the treatment was a precaution. Far better than the long term implications of not getting early treatment. Just my opinion though. good luck :)

The rash is considerably better this morning so kinda reluctant to go, not that I could get an appointment anyway!

joelhall
09-07-13, 14:16
It does resemble a migrans rash, watch to see if it grows radially over the next few days. Are you having any flu-like symptoms?

Sileas
09-07-13, 20:05
Oh God, I don't want to be that person on this site who is going to terrify the hell out of you, but I got Lyme Disease from a tick bite and that looks very much like the kind of rings you get from a tick bite.

Go and get tested asap, because the quicker they catch it the less antibiotics you'll need.

The good thing is though that is IS totally curable with antibiotics. Go to your doctor and demand a test (sometimes they don't know much about it - mine didn't - and are reluctant to test you. People in this country are VERY misinformed about Lyme Disease) and get him/her to put you on a three week course of antibiotics in the mean time while you wait for the results. Honestly, do it. You will be fine once you get antibiotics for it and treated - it is totally, completely treatable and curable - but you need to get it seen to otherwise it can become bad.

I'm so sorry, but I didn't want to tell you it was okay when it looks like it might not be. I'm sure it could still be something else, but get it checked, because I had those rings and Lyme Disease is becoming more and more common.

Again, so sorry.