PDA

View Full Version : Hints to help me control my mind

Buttercups
08-07-13, 22:54
Hi everyone, i'm new to this site. I've always had anxiety but tried my hardest not to show it. I know it's irrational and even worse, all of my own making, but i HATE hols and goin abroad coz it takes me out if my comfort zone, i spend the whole holiday wth acute anxiety. Terrified im goin to b taken ill and die in a foreign land lol! Im terrified of flying and im in a right state by the time i get off. Iv never taken meds (im a pharmacy tech and know all side affects). I'd love to cure myself by tryin to re programme my thoughts but iv not had sny luck up to now. My body surely cant accept the amount of adrenaline surging through it daily?.any advice? Thanks

B-Brain
08-07-13, 23:44
Hi buttercups!

Our bodies are incredible machines and are capable of handling a considerable amount of punishment. Once adrenaline levels reach their peak they gradually start to dissipate, until we have no choice but to calm down again.

Sounds like you're a bit like me, I also read up on side affects, which really.... Isn't that helpful. But maybe that's something we can think about rationally:

Just because 1 in a 100 people experience a certain side effect, it doesn't mean we will necessarily be that unlucky 100th person. It's more likely we will actually enjoy the benefits.

All the best!

flossie
09-07-13, 11:09
Hi Buttercups and welcome to the forum. Get yourself a muscle relaxation CD. It isn't easy to start with but with practise you will learn how to breathe slowly and control the anxiety. It is a worthwhile skill to learn.

cheshirecatqee
09-07-13, 12:26
I used to feel like that as I would have panic attack after panic attack. I found accepting and not trying to change the way I was feeling helped also observing/noticing how my body felt during the panic attack.

This isn't an easy options as you have to do the opposite of what you want to do which is avoid/run away but it did work for me and hope it helps you.