PDA

View Full Version : So many symptoms, cannot convince myself it's anxiety and side effects

Mummytofour
09-07-13, 10:08
Hi, I am new here. I have read several posts on here over the last couple of months and have just got the courage up to register and post myself.

I had my 4th baby at the beginning of May and the very next day after having him I had the most awful panic attacks over and over again. They came from nowhere. I wasn't worried or stressed etc. When I wasn't panicking I just felt really anxious and scared all day again about nothing. After 2 days of this I went to the doctor who prescribed me citalopram. I took 10 mg for a week then up to 20mg for 5 weeks and have now been on 30 mg for 18 days.

Sorry this is long winded!

Currently I am feeling so rubbish. I am not having full blown panic attacks anymore, I can push them away if I feel one starting but I have all these symptoms I don't know what's side effects or anxiety anymore. Here's my symptoms:

Dizzy, lightheaded, off balance feeling
Aches and pains all over, mainly back, legs, neck and tummy
Headaches
Feel like I am not in the moment ( things don't seem real)
Nausea and diarrhea ( I also have Ibs though)
Jaw clenching
Shaking and jittery mostly in the night
Lump in throat
Knees clicking and hurting more than they used to
Hot flushes
Chest aches and area at bottom of ribs
Feel weak and tired most of the day

Dealing with this daily is getting me down and I wonder if I will ever get back to normal again. I am convinced that I have something other than anxiety and going to the doctors in a minute to explain all these symptoms.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences similar to this and what happened.

Thanks for listening

Maxine

nomorepanic
09-07-13, 11:32
Hi and :welcome:

Have you read this page at all:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms/

Mummytofour
09-07-13, 11:40
Thanks. Will have a read now :)

cheshirecatqee
09-07-13, 12:23
They all seem like anxiety/panic to me as when we are anxious we have a more sensitised reaction to things we would normally ignore.

The best thing to do is write them all down and check with doctor also it took me 5 weeks at 30mg cit to feel better and have the side effects - nausea, chest pains, insomnia - to go :)

Darbysa
09-07-13, 12:34
Hi Mummytofour

Hope you've had chance to read the link Nic posted. You will see that all the symptoms you describe are common to stress and anxiety and most people on this site will relate to everything you've said. Having said that, whilst understanding this may help reassure you it's not always an instant cure and it can take time to come to terms with this. And let's not forget you have just had a baby and have 3 other children. All this can be very stressful no matter how much you love them. Hormones can play havoc with your emotions. You don't say if you have ever suffered with this in the past and it may be post natal related. I hope your doctor can give you some reassurance and considers the position you are in rather than pack you out the door with another prescription. The people on this site are incredibly kind and helpful and you will always find someone here who understands how you feel.
Take care
Sal x

Mummytofour
09-07-13, 12:48
Thanks for replying cheshirecatqee and darbysa, I really appreciate it.

I have had around 4 panic attacks in the past. 2 pf these were whilst I was pregnant and the others were during an illness which affected my breathing but I have never had the extreme ongoing anxiety before now even though I am a general worrier if that makes sense.

Am home from the doctors now and unfortunately she only took a quick glance at my list of symptoms and said 'all seems like anxiety still' and she has prescribed me 40mg of citalopram, which I really don't want to go up to if I can avoid it. If I knew these things would pass I would stick to 30 for a bit longer but if I doesn't work I am delaying feeling better.

Also she has prescribed beta blockers for as and when I feel real bad but I tried them before and was sure they made me feel worse.

Maxine

cheshirecatqee
09-07-13, 12:57
I worry far too much as well and it doesn't help the anxiety, as darbysa said you have to take into account hormones and the stress of looking after children.

It is difficult to know if things will improve but maybe try another couple of weeks at 30mg, also try cbt or mindfulness to stop worrying as meds won't sort things out completely anyway.

Mummytofour
09-07-13, 13:16
Forgot to mention the doctor also got the nurse to do a blood test to 'cast the net out' we're her words to check for thyroid problems or anaemia etc but she's convinced they'll be fine. The way my train of thought goes though is that even if the blood tests are fine I may have something that isn't picked up in blood tests. Even though I know this is a silly way to think.

Maxine

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

I have looked into cbt online courses as I don't drive and with the kids it would be quite difficult for me to get anywhere for regular sessions. Just want the meds to stabilise me so I am in a good frame of mind to do the cbt or get some sort of other help.

cheshirecatqee
09-07-13, 13:52
There is a free one here that you could try, when you feel ready.

cbt4 panic (http://http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696)

Mummytofour
09-07-13, 14:24