PDA

View Full Version : Taking risks

meche
09-07-13, 12:41
I know we all go through phases of being fed up and wanting more from life. I'm probably guilty of this as much as anybody. I plod on with life but every now and then I get really fed up with everything. I get through this by making scrappy plans in my head about all the things I would rather be doing, thrash them about a bit, get excited, then forget about it. The problem is that I've gone from feeling like this once in a while to feeling like this on a weekly basis and it's causing me some anxiety because I feel unsettled and confused.

I've been in my job for almost 16 years, have a mortgage, a social life, good family/friends, weekends away and holidays. I've had HA issues in the past and other ups & downs and money is tight but we get by. I'm very grateful with what I have...... but I'm not content. I go along with plans and routine because that's what you do but deep down I'm aching for a different life, a different routine and new challenges.

My partner and I have often talked about giving up the 'rat race' that has become our lives and making a new start. He would give it all up tomorrow. He's alot braver than I am and doesn't worry about what may or may not be. His attitude quite rightly so is 'how do you know until you've tried'. I so badly want to 'try' but I'm scared. Scared of making wrong decisions, scared of leaving my family/friends and more than anything, scared of leaving my comfort zone. We're both in our late 30's, have no children or other ties so the options and possibilities are endless for us.

The only one thing I am certain of is that a change (whatever that may be) has to happen. I have to be braver and get over that hurdle but I'm not quite there yet. I really don't know what response I'm looking for. Part of me is venting/talking out loud, part of me wants advice..... I don't know. Phew - thanks for reading guys. Wake up if you haven't already fallen asleep..... :doh:! xx

Speranza
09-07-13, 12:43
I've made that kind of leap once, and never regretted it although it took me a LONG time to pluck up the courage! I am now in a place where I think I am going to have to do it again. Ulp! :unsure:

You might like to google a site called Free Range Humans.

meche
09-07-13, 13:13
Hi Speranza - Thank you for replying. It really is affecting me more than I let on. I'm trying so hard to carry on with my routine and be appreciative, content and happy with what I have but somehow it's not enough anymore.

I hope you don't mind me asking but what was the one thing that made you finally make that change? Did you just take a leap of faith? I think that's exactly what I'm going to have to do because I could sit forever thinking of reasons & excuses either way. xx

PS; I will definitely take a look at that site. x

Stormsky
09-07-13, 13:53
The road to tomorrow, leads to the town of nowhere..
Feel the fear, but do it anyway.

Rennie1989
09-07-13, 16:21
I did that, I moved to London to live with my partner. But now we're fed up of this rat race too, working full time in a bookies living in a small flat and paying high rent we have decided to move to Kent after the New Year. I will go back to college and train to be a counsellor and my OH will try and get into the fire service.

I definitely say go for it. As long as you plan your future (i.e. where a source of income will come from, where to live etc) you have the right to do what ever you want. Good luck!