PDA

View Full Version : Wedding creeping up, and so is the anxiety

Rennie1989
09-07-13, 16:08
Hiya guys

I am getting married in under 8 weeks now (stomach just dropped!) and ever since the countdown went from months to weeks the nerves are slowly creeping in. It's not the concept of marriage that frightens me, it's the big day going without a hitch. I have nightmares of guests, family and groom not turning up, wearing the wrong dress, never getting to the venue in time and bridesmaids wearing suits. I still have a few things to do, like getting the men measured for suits, make the stationary (place names, table names, table plan, menus and favour tags), make the bridesmaid's gifts, first dress fitting for the bridesmaids, plan a table decoration and hope to god the second dress fitting and hair trial this week goes well.

As an anxiety sufferer I have intentionally planned and booked aspects of the wedding sooner than what's necessary. Venues and services have been booked and paid for in advance. I hoped to avoid the nervousness now and my worry is that it'll just get worse until the wedding day and I won't be able to enjoy it.

I was wondering if there was anyone here who has planned their wedding who can offer advice on keeping calm as the big day slowly (yet quickly) approaches.

AuntieMoosie
09-07-13, 18:05
Aww I think it's every Brides nightmare the things that you are worried about hun.

Try thinking that no matter what, your special day is going to be wonderful :D it doesn't matter if things don't go quite to plan or if little things go a bit wrong. It's still going to be your special day where you get to be a Princess :D

And, yes, you will be able to enjoy it and I know that you will enjoy it, it's anticipation that's the worse thing, but once you're on the day, you'll find that your anxiety will start to drop and disappear as you will be so busy getting prepared and enjoying your special day :D

Just chill and go with the flow hun, you're going to have the most amazing day :D :hugs:

swgrl09
10-07-13, 13:04
I just got married in May and experienced similar. I think I accepted that I was going to be anxious about it no matter what and that it is normal, even for people who don't have anxiety typically. ALL brides freak out! I had nightmares about things going wrong, weird dreams where I fell in love with other people, etc.

In the end it all went smoothly. You won't even worry about it on the day, you will be so excited.

One thing that helped me a lot was using theknot.com ... they have great checklists and resources for planning, but it sounds like you have everything done pretty much which is good. I was like that too. It helped a lot in the end.

Congratulations :) :)

---------- Post added at 08:04 ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 ----------

Also don't be afraid to accept help from other people!! That was also a good thing for me. By the last couple of weeks I was just letting other people do things, because they kept offering to help. It made my life easier.

Rennie1989
11-07-13, 11:53
Thanks for the response guys :)

I don't think I'm giving myself any justice by worrying about worrying. I forget that every bride worries about her wedding and I should not be any different. I spoke to the girls on a wedding forum and they suggested I try Kalms, just to take the heat off the added anxiety.

The nerves aren't too bad today, I had my hair trial and I love the hair! The stylist scared the geebus out of me when her email address stopped working and she wouldn't respond to me, but she's legit so all's good. I'm about to go have my second dress fitting and give the entrance music to the venue. nerves are being replaced with excitement today. Eeeeek!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

swgrl09

I have two apps on my phone which help plan the last bits of my wedding. Tbh it's mostly in my head what needs doing because the list is getting smaller. OH is being good too.

daisydaisy
11-07-13, 23:12
Rennie just wanted to wish you lots of luck for your wedding. I cannot offer any advice to you as I'm not there yet myself (only been waiting 8 years for the proposal but thats another story lol!) but I think what your going through is normal because you want everything to be so perfect (as it should be) and to me it sounds like you are very conscientious and although you have worries I am sure on the day you will relax and think ok here we are lets do this! Remember as well you are marrying your partner because you love them and its all about the union of the two of you together, not ultimately what everything looks like etc but as I said I think it sounds like you are super organised and it will be a huge success. Make sure in the lead up to the wedding you make time for you even if its a bit of pampering as it sounds like you need to take care of you too so that you can relax and enjoy the big day- I bet as the time rolls around you will feel much better and excited.

Xx Daisy

MrsStobe13
11-07-13, 23:23
Hello!
I actually got married about 8 weeks ago and trust me..I was where you are now. Boy I was pulling my hair out! It got to a point I kept saying I didn't want to go through with the wedding loads of times. I was also losing hair, literally, in clumps!

Anyway, on the night of the wedding I took Kalms to make sure I had a good night sleep. On the day of the wedding I planned to take Rescue Remedy pastilles. Guess what? I didn't need them! Loads of stuff did go wrong at my wedding, but I was so desperate to be back with my partner that my anxiety was the last thing on my mind. We've now been happily married 8 weeks and things are on the up!

Good luck, and delegate! Don't be dealing with everything yourself! :-)

MrsS x