PDA

View Full Version : question, new member

b
28-06-04, 01:23
does anyone know if you can take Lorazepam in conjunction with the anti depressant Citalopram?

is lorazepam a 'monoamine oxidase inhibitor/MAOI?

sarah
28-06-04, 01:31
Hi There B

Welcome to the site, glad to have you on board.

In answer to your question, no Lorazepam isnt an MAOI and Yes you can take it in conjunction with Citalopram.

I too am on Citalopram 20mg/day and have Diazepam (similar to Lorazepam) for emergencies when I am feeling pretty awful)

What doses are you on?

feel free to have a good look round and ask anything you need help with

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

b
28-06-04, 01:45
hi sarah i kinda stumbled on this site just by keying in lorazepam as i'm about to go to bed and start on these citalopram tonight

if it wasn't so late i'd stay because i think i'llbe rooted to the spot tomorrow, i've had a quick look, i didn't know anywhere like this existed

i suffer extreme agrophobia, (can you have mild?!) it's left me virtually housebound, literally you might say and has done now for over 2 years (i'm 28) it started with panic attacks, i had a lot of time off work and i lost my job, then gradually the panic attacks were every time i went out til i just couldn't bear the thought of going out anymore.....if i did go out it would be in a taxi to the corner shop, get him to wait and straight back

it's left me very, very frustrated and not even able to attent the appointments made on my behalf to the community psychiatric nurse

however, my mum had a mild heart attack last week, there was no one here and i had to go take her to the hospital, it was horrendous but the final straw so i know i must face this fear and get help, currently awaiting referral again

maybe i'll pick up some good advice here, it seems very informative, i'll have a good old browse tomorrow
take care
B
x

b
28-06-04, 01:46
oh and thank you for the info!

*half asleep, sorry[8)]

sarah
28-06-04, 01:56
Hi there b

I was in exactly the same postion as you for most of last year so I know how you feel. I hopw we can give you the help and support you need to help you get through it!!!

Well done for coping so well with your mum and the hospital trip. How is she now? Stable I hope?

just a little note on taking your Citalopram....You might feel worse for the first week or so (than again you might not - I didnt). This is because your body is adjusting to the drug. Once you are on them and stable, they should make you feel a million times better and will enable you to start on your road to recovery. Dont hesitate to post on here for reassurance ok?

read this link posted by Meg..our brilliant resident giver of fab advice. it will give you the backbone of info on where to start to hepl yourself.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
28-06-04, 14:58
Hey B,

Welcome... Sarah has filled you in on the important stuff.

You may no issues with starting Citalopram at all , it may take up to 4 weeks to start to work so don't get despondant if nothing happens for a couple of weeks. If it bothers your sleep you can take it in the am.

Your CPN should be willing to come and visit you if you cannot make it to her.

Liz will tell you all about star workers and how to try to access their support and help too.

Yes you can have mild agoraphobia- where you can make it x number of miles away from home but no more , also that you still have specific limitations - like no buses or tubes or won't go alone.

However it can all be overcome -
patience , persistance, postivity and proactiveness

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

nomorepanic
28-06-04, 21:12
Hi B

Just a quick note to welcome you aboard the forum.

I hope you get some great tips from all the lovely people on here and we can get you better and out the house.

You will get all the advice and support you need here so stick around ok?

Nicola