PDA

View Full Version : Worrying to much

unsure_about_this
10-07-13, 14:33
I think I have wasted the last two years so far about my health. I think as I grow older I hit 30 in December. I have no really focus on finding myself a girlfriend.
I am worrying so much about my health. I am scared so much I cannot get out the cycle of self examination myself every few minutes.
It embarrassing to say I check my testicles about 50 per day on average, even though the doctors have not found anything worrying.

I got NF so my lumps have been looked at by doctors, I check myself about 30 times. I also worried about moles (even though I don't have any) my freckles etc.

Looking into my eyes in mirror about 50 times per day. I worry about cancer with every ache, twinge, pain at least 40 times per day driving my parents crackers. As for checking my poop it every bowel movement I make, same for my wee.

It is the cancer advert we got a 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer at some point in our life, that the scary part, even though I read that in the next so many years it could be 1 in 2?. something started it off, I can put down everything what could have trigged it being anxious.

It might have me just googling about cancer types or reading about them on the Internet. looking at stats on these websites for each type of cancer for age grow. The ever so looking on daily mail online with a number of cancer articles each day.

I know awareness about cancer on television what symptoms to look out for which could be cancer the bowel cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, those cancer research adverts, McMillan, Bupa etc.

To date I have worried about every type of cancer from the most common to the rare types in the United Kingdom.

I am getting CBT help and hopefully I get an 2nd appointment soon. I cannot go on like this. I cannot even go pass a hospital without being frighten, when I was younger because of my NF I used to have to go to appointments quite a lot growing up, also my dyspraxia.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

My parents and family want me back to how I was and not worrying too much, I would like lots of tests, scans because I am worried so much, than I will probably worry what these tests and scans the risks could cause me. It is endless cycle.

robin321
10-07-13, 15:11
You sound like I was when I turned 30 (almost ten years ago now!). Before then I never thought about aging. Suddenly it was all I could think about. Where as before I thought about it, it was always far away. Suddenly 30 was here, and it made me think about 40, 50, and how much little time I may have.

I was able to get past it, meet a wife, have 2 wonderful kids, with a third on the way! You won't feel like this forever.

They key is to shify your focus. There is a good chance you are focused on the health to avoid other areas (like finding a girlfriend, or maybe the life, career you want?). I got better when I shifted my perspective. I thought "ok, life changes. Well I can make it change for some good". I worked at it, and good things happened and my focus eventually shifted.

You are still young. When I was turning 30 I thought I was old, but now I realize I was still a youngin! Take advantage of that, and focus (even if you don't feel like it) on things to improve yourself. Exercise. Read some self-imrpovement books. And put yourself out there (though online dating, or join something) and good things will happen.

And don't bother with all kinds of tests. They won't reassure you, at least not for long.

Darren1
10-07-13, 15:21
I think I have wasted the last two years so far about my health. I think as I grow older I hit 30 in December. I have no really focus on finding myself a girlfriend.
I am worrying so much about my health. I am scared so much I cannot get out the cycle of self examination myself every few minutes.
It embarrassing to say I check my testicles about 50 per day on average, even though the doctors have not found anything worrying.

I got NF so my lumps have been looked at by doctors, I check myself about 30 times. I also worried about moles (even though I don't have any) my freckles etc.

Looking into my eyes in mirror about 50 times per day. I worry about cancer with every ache, twinge, pain at least 40 times per day driving my parents crackers. As for checking my poop it every bowel movement I make, same for my wee.

It is the cancer advert we got a 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer at some point in our life, that the scary part, even though I read that in the next so many years it could be 1 in. something started it off, I can put down everything what could have trigged it being anxious.

It might have me just googling about cancer types or reading about them on the Internet. looking at stats on these websites for each type of cancer for age grow. The ever so looking on daily mail online with a number of cancer articles each day.

I know awareness about cancer on television what symptoms to look out for which could be cancer the bowel cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, those cancer research adverts, McMillan, Bupa etc.

To date I have worried about every type of cancer from the most common to the rare types in the United Kingdom.

I am getting CBT help and hopefully I get an 2nd appointment soon. I cannot go on like this. I cannot even go pass a hospital without being frighten, when I was younger because of my NF I used to have to go to appointments quite a lot growing up, also my dyspraxia.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

My parents and family want me back to how I was and not worrying too much, I would like lots of tests, scans because I am worried so much, than I will probably worry what these tests and scans the risks could cause me. It is endless cycle.

This sounds exactly like me! Except I am convinced I have symptoms that are alarming (Doctor isn't)

I perform finite examinations of my body everyday
- Neck
- Underarms
- Chest
- Ribs
- Groin
- Skin colour (checking for jaundice)
- Spots

The cancer adverts convince me that Cancer is so common and that 1 in 3 must be me because nobody else I know has cancer so it increases the chances of it being me!

I do a lot of research of my symptoms and believe that whatever cancer I might have, it didn't start with the obvious symptoms. What are the chances I didn't get the 'what to look for' symptoms and the symptoms I now have are because the disease has advanced (although all my bloods are normal etc)

I believe that the doctors are not looking deep enough and they are missing something.

KeeKee
10-07-13, 15:48
I may be wrong but isnt it that 1 in 3 are somehow affected but not necessarily with it? So for example it could include knowing someone who has Cancer.

joelhall
10-07-13, 15:57
I would take anything the Daily Mail prints about health advice with a very large grain of salt...

nomorepanic
10-07-13, 16:13
I may be wrong but isnt it that 1 in 3 are somehow affected but not necessarily with it? So for example it could include knowing someone who has Cancer.

Yes affected by it NOT got cancer

robin321
10-07-13, 16:51
And I would venture the 1/3 if an entire lifetime... including people who are in their 80's and 90's. The odds when you are 30 would be very low.

I also had real symptoms. Many over the years

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Just remember also most symptoms are nothing!

And I used to be just like you. I would even think - well 1/20,000... so one person at say a concert will get something. That person must be me. If you think about it this is absurd and imagine if everyone thought that way.

How do you get over it? So far I don't know. I am still not great, but 99% of the time my life is normal. I am working on the other 1%

unsure_about_this
10-07-13, 19:43
Many thanks for your replies

I also have to seek reassurance from my parents at least 50 times per day, hopefully I can learn to relax more, I know I will not have much Internet access on holiday where we are going to later this month.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

oh by the way I also check my breast area regularly, about ten per day, males can get breast cancer and reading about the types makes me more worried. from the common type to the rare type.

leukemia, non hodgkins lymphoma and hodgkins I always checked myself what could be the symptoms.

NeilSimpson
10-07-13, 20:36
This sounds exactly like me! Except I am convinced I have symptoms that are alarming (Doctor isn't)

I perform finite examinations of my body everyday
- Neck
- Underarms
- Chest
- Ribs
- Groin
- Skin colour (checking for jaundice)
- Spots

The cancer adverts convince me that Cancer is so common and that 1 in 3 must be me because nobody else I know has cancer so it increases the chances of it being me!

I do a lot of research of my symptoms and believe that whatever cancer I might have, it didn't start with the obvious symptoms. What are the chances I didn't get the 'what to look for' symptoms and the symptoms I now have are because the disease has advanced (although all my bloods are normal etc)

I believe that the doctors are not looking deep enough and they are missing something.

Yep me too, every morning, every afternoon, evening, ive pressed my stomach so hard it caused pain so that was me to the drs, to find id injured something, were all in this boat, it aint sinking tho :)

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Many thanks for your replies

I also have to seek reassurance from my parents at least 50 times per day, hopefully I can learn to relax more, I know I will not have much Internet access on holiday where we are going to later this month.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

oh by the way I also check my breast area regularly, about ten per day, males can get breast cancer and reading about the types makes me more worried. from the common type to the rare type.

leukemia, non hodgkins lymphoma and hodgkins I always checked myself what could be the symptoms.

Very true because I checked my after tons of pain in my muscle there (name escapes me on that muscle) but what I read its highly rare but easy to detect, and like everything, earlier detected, earlier gone

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

I would take anything the Daily Mail prints about health advice with a very large grain of salt...

Or one of them salt lorries they use to clear snow, never believe the papers or most things you read online

unsure_about_this
11-07-13, 08:28
I also worry quite a lot about skin cancer as well, I always checking my skin, I do use sun screen, but still scared about getting skin cancer.

unsure_about_this
11-07-13, 10:21
The only person I know was my Dad mother I think she died of cancer in 2000 was stated of the death certificate, I remember my parents getting a phone call from one of my Dad's brother who went to hospital to see her, 24 hours to live she made it through the night, but took at turn for the worst at about 6.00am on August 10th 2000 and died at about 7.30am.

I don't know anybody else who has had cancer/got cancer. I think I had my Nan and Granddad talk about a few people their know who has had cancer. It just the word being mention it frightens me and makes me want to get myself checked out more and more.

Maybe I should not read things on line. I always go to doctors if I am worried.