PDA

View Full Version : High blood pressure/anxiety

Shelly15
10-07-13, 16:49
I went to the drs today as I've been finding my anxiety getting worse and feel stressed due to family life, I feel faint all the time and over the last few weeks had a lot of tension in my forehead and blurred vision. I have a phobia of the drs and anything to do health wise. As soon as I walk in the surgery I panic and feel very anxious. She took my blood pressure which was high which she said is down to stress and prescribed me 10mg of citalopram.. I'm now freaking out that I have high blood pressure all the time and its making me ill. Does anyone no if citalopram will stop me feeling faint? And does anyone else worry about there blood pressure? It scares me so much, when I was in hospital having my son they wouldn't let me home for a week as my blood pressure was high I told them its because of my anxiety then when they let me home they sent a nurse out to check my blood pressure it was fine. (That was 2years ago) I also googled high blood pressure as soon as I got home from the drs today to see the symptoms big mistake as I'm scaring myself silly!

nomorepanic
10-07-13, 16:54
How high is high though?

If they were worried they would re-test it and/or do a 24-hour BP monitor.

Citalopram is going to most likely make you feel a lot worse to start with. Did you get prescribed that today?

Shelly15
10-07-13, 17:01
I don't no how high, she said it is a bit high but she's putting it down to stress, and to go back in a couple weeks, I have high blood pressure usually every time I go there and they have never been concerned about it they put it down to my anxiety and me hating being there. I'm just scaring myself I've been so depressed and anxious due to a family member passing away.

Yes I got prescribed that today, I've never taken any tablets before do help my anxiety I just try and get over it myself I'm finding it hard this time. I no I will get worse before I get better that's what worries me aswell

nomorepanic
10-07-13, 17:12
Ok well they are keeping an eye on it for you then which is good.

Sorry to hear about the recent death in the family as well - no wonder you are stressed out.

Have a read of the Citalopram Survival Guide in the sub-forum here and that may let you know what to expect when taking it.

Have you been offered any CBT as well?

Shelly15
10-07-13, 17:43
Yes I have read it already thanks.

I'm currently doing CBT which was slowly helping till the death in the family has made me feel really anxious again and set my health anxiety off. I started CBT cos I was feeling faint and the dr couldn't find anything wrong with me other than anxiety. I have 3 sessions left of CBT which the last few weeks haven't been helpful at all. Now my health anxiety has started again and I'm worrying about my blood pressure maybe that was the cause of me feeling faint in the first place but then again CBT was helping, I don't no my mind races thinking about every possible reason I feel faint

joelhall
10-07-13, 17:48
If the dizzy feeling is a result of anxiety, then citalopram should have an effect after a settling in period. Dizziness is one of the more common symptoms of anxiety. As for the high blood pressure, unless it is alarmingly high, then you're not in any immediate danger, and unlikely to even experience symptoms. Blood pressure changes are not always absolute but relative, and several things can change it, such as salt intake, hydration, temperature, weight, etc....

Shelly15
10-07-13, 18:08
Good I hope the citalopram does help with the dizziness, because this is my main symptom, I suffered with dizziness November 2011 for a few months went to the doctors so many times but come spring I was okay and I never let it stop me doing anything but this time it's come back 4 months ago I can't seem to get rid of this feeling and its effecting my life style. I no the blood pressure is down to stress but with health anxiety I think of the worst. I was at the doctors 6 months ago when I wasn't anxious and my blood pressure was fine. I need to find ways to reduce my stress, usually a nice long walk would do it but when I feel dizzy I stay in and don't want to walk anywhere incase I faint. I just make myself worse, I need a change in lifestyle and to eat healthy I just don't no where to start. I looked at the symptoms of high blood pressure and it said nose bleeds - I had one a month ago, blurred vision - I have been getting blurred in one eye went to Optisions needed a stronger lens, shortness of breath - I have been getting when I get a panic attack and now I think I'm concentrating on it a lot so feel shout of breath when I walk sometimes. Dr said its all down to stress.

AlexandriaUK
10-07-13, 18:13
I only have to look at the machine and mine rises, anxiety can increase blood pressure by 20, if it was high high she would have let you sit quite for 10 mins and took it again.
Try not too worry, when we suffer with anxiety the whole body responds to the fear, next time ask her for the numbers, you will find it was about 140/80 up too 160/90 thats the common figures for white coat syndrom.

Shelly15
10-07-13, 18:22
I have bad experience with drs/hospitals so I get so scared when I have to have my blood pressure done, yeah usually she take my blood pressure 3 times and the first time is high and then she talks to me to calm me down and it reduces but today she just said she's not going to do that as I'm stressed at the moment so that would explain why it's high. I'm not sure what it said on the machine I don't even look at it.

AlexandriaUK
10-07-13, 18:30
LOL I never look as mine can rise just by looking, try not to worry, high bp is a common sympton of anxiety, dont forget to ask next time as that can put it into perspective.

Speranza
10-07-13, 19:36
It's so common it has a name: White Coat Syndrome. Some people's BP just rises the minute they see the doctor. My ex-husband is just the same, and he works in a hospital!

FWIW my BP has plummeted on Prozac - in a good way I mean. It's usually low but it spikes when I'm stressed and it was high (for me). I think treating the anxiety medically has helped. And I certainly do know what you mean about the worry. A few years ago I was going to join a gym and they took my BP and sent me to the doctor. I was convinced they had faulty equipment and then the doctor also said it was high - nothing too awful but still, they monitored it for a while.

I left the surgery convinced my head was going to explode, or something! I was so anxious about it that I probably sent it up a few more points!

As people have said, there is 'high' and then there is 'dangerously high'. Yours is obviously the first from what they have said and done.

Just so you know it is safe to walk around with slightly high blood pressure:- My Dad was from a family with a history of stroke, and wouldn't go to the doctor about his BP. When he eventually did go, the doctor said, "My God, I don't know how you've survived long enough to get here!" His was something like 200/140. :ohmy: And you know what? He lived another 24 years after that (on meds) and it wasn't a factor in his death.

Shelly15
10-07-13, 22:52
I've been worrying myself stupid all day and now I feel so anxious and on edge that something bad will happen, I feel so anxious right now I feel like I'm floating I hate having health anxiety so much every little pain I'm focusing on right now making me feel worse

Stormsky
10-07-13, 22:54
I suffer dizziness as my bp is too low

Shelly15
10-07-13, 23:01
I get it as when I'm anxious my bp goes high and makes me dizzy then when I feel dizzy I think I'm dying and notice every pain in my body its a never ending cycle I just can't seem to break, I'm scared to fall asleep right now as all the pains in my body are scaring me even tho I no it's all anxiety it scares me every time

nomorepanic
10-07-13, 23:21
I would think the dizziness is not associated with the high BP but with the anxiety instead and the incorrect breathing.

Speranza
10-07-13, 23:38
I was just going to ask if you have had it measured when you are dizzy - high blood pressure doesn't tend to show symptoms at all. I agree with Nicola, the anxiety is probably a big factor.

Shelly15
10-07-13, 23:45
Yeah your right the anxiety is making me feel dizzy and I'm worrying about it to give me high blood pressure. I'm so scared I just tried falling asleep but bout a couple of minutes of me dosing off I instantly thought I stopped breathing and jumped up really quick, I can't stop concentrating on my heart and I have pins and needles in my leg. I sound so stupid basically worrying over nothing, I'm so anxious I have a serious illness and I will die any second it sounds so stupid but when my mind is telling me it I believe it all the symptoms just make it worse for me :(

farley1109
10-07-13, 23:59
I was put on citalopram 10mg last month for my anxiety!.. my most annoying symptom was constant dizziness (tipsy feeling) but it wasn't helping so she has put me on 20mg now fingers crossed I get some relief and you do too!.. :) also I didn't get worse before I felt better.. I've stayed the same, just hoping to get better!..

Shelly15
11-07-13, 00:11
I'm so scared to take them as I can't even take a paracetamol for a headache without feeling anxious, my partner was also on 20mg and didn't feel worse he felt better. I really hope it works for me the dizziness is taking over my life now. Do you still get racing thoughts though?

farley1109
11-07-13, 00:21
I've actually started feeling better lately minus the aches and pains and dizziness!.. thoughts wise I have finally accepted its all down to anxiety and feeling positive!.. I would take the citalopram and just see how you get on!.. I didn't notice any difference on 10mg though or side effects!.. good luck..

kittikat
11-07-13, 00:21
I was just going to ask if you have had it measured when you are dizzy - high blood pressure doesn't tend to show symptoms at all. I agree with Nicola, the anxiety is probably a big factor.

I agree with Speranza, my BP was very high and I never even knew, it was discovered during a routine check for something else.

My doc then kept a regular check on it and eventually I was put on 2 different meds to control it. I have been on them for about 6 years now and my BP is well controlled and pretty stable now.

Good luck and try not to worry too much! Kitti :)

swajj
11-07-13, 11:03
I have high BP and I am on meds. I've been on them for 2 years. My Bp is caused by my anxiety. I have ended up in emergency with sky high BP simpply by worrying about my BP. My doctor has told me that once I truly get control of my anxiety I will be able to stop taking BP meds. If your doctor was really concerned then she would have put you on a low dose of BP meds. Still if you are that concerned then go back to her tomorrow and ask her to take it again and get the numbers. Peole here can tell you what the difference is between slightly high and very high but only if you can tell them the numbers. My doctor told me that 20 years ago a lot of people had strokes but now the number of peoe who do has decreased dramatically. The reason being that treatment has made a huge difference. So don't worry about your BP because like me you will end up spiking it. On the other hand stay on top of it by getting your doctor to give you more infor$mation about your own BP. Just as an aside, I'm a primary school teacher and I teach in a school which has 13 teachers. 5 of us are on HBP meds. So don't ever become a teacher! Nah just kidding its the best job in the world.