PDA

View Full Version : head pains

mrsnobody
11-07-13, 09:53
hi

does anyone suffer from head pain?? mine is daily lasts seconds, right side/lower back of my head. only way I can describe it is that its like a short stabbing pain, like been hit by a bolt of lightning then it goes away. I remember having it when a teenager on/off. it sort of comes out of no where. on occashion I get a realy bad one and it makes me stop in my tracks. I had one attack roughly 4 years ago and it made my face abit numb- I was worried I had a stroke for ages as gp didn't help. they said to see them when I was getting the pain so that they can see it??????

just wondered if anyone else has had this or any ideas how to stop it.

I don't want to google as my health anxity isn't too bad at the moment and I don't want to set it off again but I do need advice please

Speranza
11-07-13, 10:08
I know it can be a side effect of SSRIs, so I guess it is something which can happen anyway. Sorry I can't be more help! If you have had it for so long I think it's unlikely to be anything sinister tbh but you can always go back and talk to someobody about it...

mrsnobody
11-07-13, 11:15
thankyou for replying, I don't seem to get many replys on here- didn't know if I was putting people off.
iam not on any SSRIs but thankyou for the advice. I would also like to think its nothing serious- iam trying hard to be positive at the moment

thankyou again

Speranza
11-07-13, 13:45
Yes, sorry - I meant that if it can be triggered by a medicine, it is something which can happen. Lots of these things are down to nerves/posture etc when it's not med-related. I can see why it is worrying but it doesn't sound as though you are having a stroke.

mrsnobody
11-07-13, 16:30
thank you for your reassurance. my mind goes to worse case all the time

Daisy Sue
11-07-13, 16:38
Headaches can be really scary, and I've suffered horrendous ones which continued for over 2 years, almost daily, so I know where you're coming from. Mine turned out to be hormone-related.. firstly caused by being pre-menopausal, and then worsened by HRT... could any of this apply to you?

Keep on talking to your GP and make sure they know exactly where the pain is and what it feels like, and look up any side effects for any meds you're on - I found my cure by doing this - the progesterone side of my HRT had a side effect of migraine headaches, and none of my doctors have ever made the connection!

anxious_thoughts
11-07-13, 18:38
I've had head pains for over 10 years, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one going through this.
Sometimes they're sharp, but for the most part they're just small head pains that don't last too long. Do yours worsen at all during movement? Mine worsen when I lie on my sides.

Freaked
11-07-13, 20:01
When I first came down with whatever I have (docs think POTS), I got terrible stabbing pains in the back of my head every morning that I'd never had before. Had a head scan and all was more or less fine. I actually think it might have been to with beta-blockers wearing off and my blood pressure rising. Haven't had them since I stopped the beta-blockers. With you mentioning the facial numbness and short bursts of pain it sounds very like neuralgia, or are you on any meds it might be linked to?

You could always go back to your gp or see a neurologist if it keeps bothering you.

jayjoe18
11-07-13, 20:13
Wow, I thought I was the only one!!! I get these, exactly as you described but it's usually at the sides or front of my head. The pain is excruciating but luckily only last seconds, like a building pressure that fades out. I don't get them every day, just occasionally, they stop me in my tracks too and I have to shut my eyes and hold my head until it passes, horrible! Not really sure why but I'm guessing it must be another lovely symptom of anxiety!

Big-B
12-07-13, 03:27
I have head pain where my neck and head meet also around the sides behind my ears... I also feel spacey or have a head fog that keeps my anxiety on alert

mrsnobody
12-07-13, 19:43
jayjoe18- you have decribed exactly how it feels. its horrible. has the doctor given you any advice. I just get told to put up with it basically.

daisysue- thankyou for your advice iam not taking any meds as I have a lot of reactions to them. It may me hormones iam in my 30s but iam very hormonal so everyone tells me.

jennclark- your def not alone. it horrible. I call them head attacks but when I tell my friends they think iam going mad as no one else I know seems to suffer from them

freaked- iam sorry your going through this too. I don't know what pots is but I hope you feel better soon. I carnt google it sorry as iam having a dr google free month. it seems to of helped me abit as iam not getting new symptoms - just struggling with the ones I have.

big-b- it does make my anxity worse too as when it happens it feels like iam going to dye (my head explode)

thankyou to everyone who replys to this thread as its good to know people are in the same boat if you know what I mean

Jimmy28
15-07-13, 11:59
I get the same pains for over an year and wht scares me is that the pain is in the back od my head just like yours (and people tend to think that it's serious when it hurts on the back of your head) and i know how scary and annoying it is. In my case after 2 CT scans doctors diagnosed me with anxiety so I honestly think it's just your anxiety as well

mrsnobody
13-08-13, 14:41
thankyou for your replys I think it may be anxity too. very stressed at moment. having to have another op on Thursday due to hospital error. not good

cassy1989
14-08-13, 02:04
Hi mrsnobody. I have these exact headaches as you describe. I tend to have them every couple of months and they last for a few days on and off. My dr told me they are called ice pick headaches and I find I get them more if I have been stressed, haven't been drinking enough or haven't been sleeping well. Hope this helps xx