PDA

View Full Version : Can't get to the dentist

jayjoe18
11-07-13, 17:13
They said I needed a checkup... that was November! I just can't pluck up the courage to go. My mum has booked me an appointment next week in the afternoon but I'm going to have to cancel it, I'm already worrying and anxious. What do you do when you already have anxiety going to a place that makes regular people anxious? The problem is my tooth has been a little tender when I brush, sometimes when I chew and sometimes with cold drinks which is making me really worried but I just can't get myself to go :weep:

Speranza
11-07-13, 17:39
Obviously you do need to get there at some point. If it makes you so ill, ring and explain - there may be something you can take to calm you. If you don't take care of your teeth now, you will have lots more appointments in the future.

For your current problem, if it's a tiny hole there isn't much you can do but it is quite likely to be a little bit of the sensitive tooth exposed near the gum, which conducts all heat/cold into the tooth and hurts like crazy. Brush your teeth and gums with Sensodyne, then rub a little into the tooth. This will build up the enamel and eventually the tooth will stop hurting. Corsodyl is also excellent but a bit stronger and it tastes a bit horrid - but it does the trick. If you know you are going to have problems going for check-ups, your dental hygiene needs to be absolutely excellent to prevent problems.

I hope you get there! Let us know.

jayjoe18
11-07-13, 18:14
Thanks Speranza, I will try those suggestions, do you think it will be a problem using these products if it's not a sensitive tooth? As I'm not really sure, it's not sharp sensitivity, just a dull sort of tenderness. I'm usually good when it comes to cleaning my teeth but I'm obviously not doing a good enough job now. The thing that's worrying me is waiting. My dentist is always running behind but I always used to go after school 3pm - 4pm. My appointment next week is 12:30pm, do you think dentists are busy at this sort of time?

Rennie1989
11-07-13, 18:23
I absolutely hate dentists too! I hadn't been for years until my wisdom tooth cracked in November 2011, I haven't been back since early 2012! But if you have something wrong with your tooth you must go, I did with my wisdom tooth. If you don't it'll get worse and you'll need more serious and expensive treatment.

Don't be afraid to tell the dentist you suffer from anxiety, I did to mine and he was very gentle and very patient, he let my fiancé come into the room and hold me hand/leg.

Speranza
11-07-13, 18:52
It won't harm your teeth in the least to use those products.
If your gums are a bit inflamed they can expose the more sensitive part of the tooth, and Sensodyne is especially for that situation. But it's also a toothpaste. Why don't you (or your Mum) ask when the quietest time will be? I would DEFInitely go next week, before the school holidays...

jayjoe18
11-07-13, 19:59
Thank you Rennie, I'm the same I hate being in that chair, just makes the anxiety 10x worse! I definitely don't want it getting worse and the thought of having any sort of treatment makes me worry even more so I guess going now will be easier and hopefully I won't need anything done (fingers crossed!!!)

Speranza, thanks for that info, I'll buy some of that asap. I have been using sensodyne for the past 3 days but it's all gone, I used it a few months back but I maybe I need to keep using it for a longer period. I didn't think about the school holidays! Oh no! I really must force myself to go on Thursday, otherwise I'll spend the whole summer with it in the back of my mind and I don't want it getting any worse in the meantime, I hope I can manage it :wacko:

Stormsky
11-07-13, 21:03
I'm going dentist Monday , I just don't think about it...

jayjoe18
11-07-13, 21:13
I wish I could do that too Stormsky, I over think everything!

jayjoe18
20-07-13, 18:01
I just wanted to update you guys.... I made it to the dentist! :)
I was absolutely petrified, woke up early with a funny tummy and didn't sit still all morning because of anxiety. I had the checkup and even an x-ray (which I didn't know they would do) Luckily everything is fine! I told her about the tooth problem but said I have started using sensitive tooth pastes etc, she didn't seem concerned at all. I wasn't really happy that I managed it on the day but I've been pretty down recently so I'm putting it down to that. I know it was an achievement though and I'm glad I know there's nothing wrong, I can relax now!

Edie
20-07-13, 18:23
Yay, well done :)

jayjoe18
20-07-13, 18:29
Thanks Edie :yesyes:

flossie
20-07-13, 18:42
A huge achievement. Well done.:yesyes:

Speranza
20-07-13, 19:06
Fan(g)tastic! :D

jayjoe18
20-07-13, 21:43
Thanks flossie :) Speranza, I love that fangtastic ha ha :roflmao: brilliant!

Tigergirl
03-08-13, 07:25
I had a dreadful phobia about going to the dentist for 40 years. I hadn't been for 20 years. Eventually, my teeth and mouth were so bad, I knew I had to do something. My first step was to confess my fear to one person! I then spoke to a few more friends and family and basically built a support raft of people near to me. Everyone was very understanding. More importantly, no-one laughed or said I was stupid! I got Valium from my doctor for the first visit but decided not to take it so the dentist could see how bad I was. That first visit was one of the most difficult things I have ever done! I will not lie about that. I lost almost 10lbs in the days before I went, and on the day, could barely put one foot in front of the other. When my name was called, I walked into the surgery and my legs buckled. The dentist was great! She sat me down in a normal chair and just talked to me. She didn't laugh, call me a fool or a coward or any of the things I worried about. She referred me for hypno-therapy, which didn't work but I managed to make myself go back just because of the level of understanding and support I received from everyone at the surgery. By the way, after all that I only needed three fillings and a scaling! I then went back every three months for a while, just to de-sensitise myself. I know go for check-ups regularly with only a slight flutter of nerves. I consider myself cured and you know what! I feel really pleased with myself!
One thing my dentist suggested and that I found helpful was a homeopathic remedy called Acconite. I got it in Boots. You take a couple of tablets every two hours over a day or two and it takes the edge off. Obviously, anyone taking other medication or with any health issues needs to check whether it is appropriate for them.
All I can say is keep trying. I never thought I would conquer the fear and that no-one could feel as badly as I did. But I managed it, and if I did, so can you! Be brave.

Paul H
03-08-13, 22:05
Well done on getting there. It is a real achievement to beat a phobia like that. Now that you have this achievement under your belt I'd recommend that you find a god hypnotherapist to help you use this achievement in order to conquer the phobia for good. Message me with your location, if you like, and I'll see if I can recommend a good well trained one in your area.

Best wishes

Paul