PDA

View Full Version : chest pain due to poor posture and muscle tension?

eddy1608
11-07-13, 17:54
i read a post on here about someone who had a similar issue and they saw a doctor and was prescribed pain relief for the issue just wondered if anyone else has done this? i am thinking it may be worth a try just looking for other opinions

Speranza
11-07-13, 17:58
Done what? Poor posture and slumped shoulders can cause a lot of pain.

eddy1608
11-07-13, 18:07
been prescribed pain relief for chest pain with any success.

Rennie1989
11-07-13, 18:18
Depends what's causes the chest pain as to whether it will work. Hyperventilating can cause chest pain so just concentrating on slower breathing takes that away without the need of pills. Muscle tension can cause pains so taking a few moments rest or having a lay down will make them go too. If you're worried about the chest pains and aren't sure why you're getting them then I highly recommend seeing a GP.

Magic
11-07-13, 18:30
I have poor posture. I am trying to sit upright and to walk with a straight back.
This does not give me chest pain. I think you ought to see your GP

Freaked
11-07-13, 19:33
With my chest pain, I've found nexium or other proton-pump inhibitors help when it's gastro-related, but haven't been able to find any real relief for the (hopefully) musculoskeletal and neuralgia pain. Was prescribed a strong paracetamol and codeine painkiller but did no good. Valium doesn't help much with them either; I think what I probably need is an anit-inflammatory, but I'm wary of taking them atm for probably silly reasons. Mind you, one day my whole neck and spine was stiff and killing me for no particular reason (was so awful I was scared it was meningitis) and I got an anti-inflammatory injection which seemed to not do much. I saw CharlieM say that amitriptyline worked well for his chest pain which sounded very similar to mine, so that might be worth a try.

mummyanxious
11-07-13, 19:35
I have chest pain from poor posture, it is entirely possible. But best to rule out any other causes as the others have said. I don't take medication though, I have been to a chiropractor and my pain has been greatly improved.

Speranza
11-07-13, 19:43
Sorry, I misread your post - thought you had seen a doctor. Always start with the doctor, we aren't medics. There are loads of innocent causes but get checked out. :)

eddy1608
11-07-13, 19:54
ive seen the doc to rule out heart issues ive had 3 ecgs and blood work all normal but i still worry

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

yh i saw charliems post thats what got me thinking i see a massage therapist and he said there is muscle tension in my upper back which could be contributing to the chest aches and pains

Mr m anxious
11-07-13, 20:02
Eddy does your chest hurt when you put pressure on it? If so costochondritis could be a possibility although heard its worse pain when you lay down. Stress and poor posture are a painful combination, I know cos I'm left with pain like freaked, musle tension and neuralgic pain. I'm on amitriptyline but only on 30 mg but upping my dose very soon to 50mg or 75mg as advised by neurologist as he said you need at least 60mg to get rid of burning/stinging nerve pain.

yenool
11-07-13, 20:56
Yep I get this from time to time when tense, anxious or both. A good way to reassure yourself that it is muscular rather than 'serious' is to give the area / muscles a poke....... if you find a really tender spot (a tender point or trigger point) then you know it is a muscle or bone or something.

It is also not unusual for the pain to radiate into the neck, shoulders, arms, etc. This is known as referred pain.

GPs can obviously prescribe standard pain killers, ranging from paracetamol to morphine depending on how bad the pain is. As already mentioned, for chronic pain they may use other drugs (often antidepressants) like Amitriptyline. They help to numb the nerves and also relax you a bit and so relax the muscles and reduce anxiety which can help a lot if the problem is mainly generated by tension.

edit:
Have you tried stretching (gently!)? Like googling various upper body stretches and spending 20 -30 mins once a day? Might help if the issue is down to tense, strained muscles.

almoststew1990
11-07-13, 22:09
I have poor posture from sitting in an office all day. It gives me grief daily and makes me anxious and think that it is my heart and make me anxious, all that stuff. I haven't ever taken medication for the pain, more for the anxiety. I relieve the pain by doing some exercises a masseuse ( if that is the word for massage giver?) Gave me. Not sure if I'm allowed to give direct advise on this forum about the stretches as I am not a doctor?

CharlieM
11-07-13, 22:46
It was my post that you are referring to.

It is important to get all the more sinister causes checked out first. I had numerous heart tests before my GP and cardiologist diagnosed me with neuropathic pain.

All I can say is that my experience has led me to be prescribed Amitriptyline by my GP, and it has worked wonders. As long as you get cleared of all the more serious potential problems, then I would highly recommend this medication.

See your GP and discuss the option with them.

Charlie

clank
11-07-13, 23:15
Yup chest pain can definitely be form poor posture, If i sit this one way i get chest pains every time!