PDA

View Full Version : Heart/chest pains

nomorepanic
12-07-13, 00:48
I just wanted to post and tell you that I saw my cardiologist yesterday as I have been having chest pains and my GP was concerned I had angina.

Anyway he said that there are so many reasons for chest pains and these include:

pains from the stomach that are felt in the chest
muscular pains
tension
indigestion/acid reflux

He also said that he does not do treadmill exercise tests for women now as it has too many false positives. I have to go and have a MIBI scan instead to check the functioning of the heart.

Something to bear in mind when you post on here saying you think you are having a heart attack or scared of chest pains.

I had a heart attack in 2008 so of course they have to check mine out more thoroughly - I am not suggesting you all rush and ask for a MIBI scan!

joelhall
12-07-13, 08:55
I hope everything is ok for you Nicola x

Speranza
12-07-13, 09:07
Thanks Nicola, that's reassuring (for us). I hope everything is alright. Thank you for this forum, it is beyond valuable. My daughter is off to Canada for two weeks and asked what I would do if I suddenly needed support. I told her there are always people on here - so it's reassured her too! Thank you. xx

Invisibletouch
12-07-13, 11:33
Thank you. I really hope all is ok.

El.

flossie
12-07-13, 11:42
I haven't a clue what a MIBI scan is but I hope it's good news when you get the results.

nomorepanic
12-07-13, 12:28
I don't really know what a MIBI scan is either. I did look it up but some hospitals seem to do it differently.

Because of where I live I will be going to probably the best in the country though - Papworth.

Thanks all for the comments and well-wishes

joelhall
12-07-13, 12:51
It's basically a test using a radioactive drug and a camera to watch the heart pumping during rest and stress and how much blood flow there is to the heart itself, so it helps to diagnose CCF, angina, ischaemia etc.

nomorepanic
12-07-13, 13:06
He said it would also show any blocked arteries to the heart

joelhall
12-07-13, 13:10
Yeah it will. If there's reduced blood flow to any part of the heart, the cause can be localised with this method. It's an ideal way of spotting causes of ischaemia.

CharlieM
12-07-13, 13:14
Joel,

How is this different to an angiogram?

I ask, because I declined an angiogram due to it being invasive and my chest pain at the time was not brought on by exercise. Now, I am glad I didn't as my pain was eventually diagnosed as neuropathic.

Charlie

P.s. love your work on here by the way.

joelhall
12-07-13, 13:18
An angiogram looks inside the vessels of the heart by X-ray.

And thanks :)

nomorepanic
24-09-13, 20:43
Did a panic attack cause your heart attack?

No

I had a massive Crohn's flare-up where I had abscesses on my bowel and my abdomen was full of pus from them. I had a heart attack during this episode.

Fishmanpa
24-09-13, 21:16
Best wishes, positive thoughts and prayers on your tests!

nomorepanic
24-09-13, 21:37
I got the results back - posted on another thread I think - sorry

It was all clear and I don't have angina.

Darren1
24-09-13, 22:11
hope u r ok nicola x

nomorepanic
24-09-13, 22:21
Thanks Darren I am ok

Magic
25-09-13, 15:46
Glad you are ok Nicola:hugs:

kittikat
25-09-13, 15:56
Great news Nic :yesyes: