PDA

View Full Version : Am I having heart problems?

looking4answers
11-10-06, 07:40
I have for the last two months had a distinctive heart beat in my left ear.It is audible most of the time but has times it goes away.If I lay on the couch and turn my head to the left or if I lie down at night and put a pillow a certain way behind my neck or sometimes when Im outside it can be heard but mostly inside.I have been told by my GP that it is a tube blockage and the left ear has a partial blockage and the right ear full blockage.She tried to clean out the right one but decided to make me an appointment at the ent in a few weeks.I had read that this could in fact be a cartroid artery blockage or a anyurism...or something like that.She said that I seemed fine and also said you have a slight murmur..I never knew I had a murmur..It was like giving me a death sentence.I thought when I heard my heartbeat I could also hear something that didn't sound right about my heart.I was shocked and ask for test and she said that I didn't need any test.It wasn't signfigant and that she even had a murmur.She didn't seem to check me the way a gp is suppose to like listening to the neck arteries or checking the head or neck for blockages..She said that I was anxious and that when I calmed down everything would be better.My blood pressure was elevated but she said that was because I was nervous.I was wondering are doctors able to observe and look for signs of heart problems by your skin or eyes or fingers or something? She could see my neck ok and the arteries but she didn't act concerned...I was also concerned about high altitude symptoms and she didn't seem to think that I had anything that warrented attention or test of any kind..Every since that day I have worried that maybe she didn't find a heart problem or blockage because I have white coat symdrom and was nervous and she just marked everything down as nerves ..she put me on zoloft ...but after I left I got worried because she didnt say anything about raising my blood pressure medicine or even if I was suppose to do anything special about my murmur.I called back to ask her and she put her assisant on the phone and told me sometime when I was over that way to just come in for bp check and that the murmur was no problem.I asked her point blank what kind of murmur it wsa and she said minor.I ask her if there was anything that I should do different and she said not unless I had other symptoms...Well now im not sure I have other symptoms because I actually have many symptoms which most I associate with anxiety but could be related to heart.I sweat sometimes even though its cold.I get a little weird headed ..not sure how to describe that one but anyway..as far as heart I am not sure I have issues.My weight is good..and I don't drink..I do smoke cigarettes some but am trying to quit,but when I can hear my pulse and the murmur in my ears for hours it scares the hell out of me.She should have just said you are going to die.Now when I hear my heart it seems to radiate through my chest into my neck and into my ears.I don't know if its imagination or not but it worries me.I try to be positive and calm but sometimes I can't relax and am so focused on it , I feel handicapped.My wife was there when the doctor gave me a check up and she says to me there is nothing wrong with me other than ear blockage.I don't feel I can ask the doctor anymore and can't talk to my wife about it..so I feel so alone ,like no one understands..Could the doctor have been unconcerned because there was nothing to worry about?Or could have she just marked everything off as nerves..? They are trained to look at you and check things when you aren't aware they are doing it ..I hope? But she did spend about an hour with me chatting and hopefully I am imagining everything else and there is nothing to worry about.The sweating scares me a little..Its not bad...it just feels like my skin is moist even when its cold,but well that may go along with where we live .People say that high altitude makes you sweat even when you are cold because it draws the mositure out of your body.I really need a friend ..someone that coul

ruthb1
11-10-06, 09:45
hi,

i have health anxiety relating to heart attacks and heart probs after my partner suffered two heart attacks within 3 months at the age of 40. I understand totally what you are going through i only have to get a niggle in the chest and i think that i am going to drop dead, or if i am dizzy i relate that to a heart problem. GPs, etc can tell from other ways than you have mentioned to see if there is a problem with your heart as in they will look at your complexion for grey tinges or they will test you finger tips to see if they are blue, i wont tell you anymore as you will find that you are looking at these all the time, this is what started me off, i would test my pulse and then before i knew it i was checking the colour of my skin, you are best not knowing as in the less you know the better. otherwise you will dwell on things and make the matter worse, i know its hard but you have got to try and stop yourself from checking these things out. If the doctor thought that there was a problem they would have found it by now, i know that you will think that maybe they havent found everything and maybe they have missed something, but sometimes you have got to start trusting the docs, easier said than done. Its taken me two years to stop googling, going to the docs every 5 mins over every ache and pain. it is hard but i am sure that with perserverance you will do it.

take care

ruth

**whenwillthisend**
11-10-06, 22:29
hi there..i really wouldnt worry about the murmur....i went to a cardiologist a few months ago..due to palpitations, ectopics etc-thought i had a major heart prob...every test was fine he just found i was having ectopics but also told me i had a heart flow murmur-completey benign though....he told me i had a noisy heart thats all and does not have no implication on my life whatsoever....dont get me wrong i worry..all the time, but thats just the anxiety...i hope this worry will go soon
take care
by the way 1 in 10 people have a heart murmur...so we are not the only ones!!!