PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer

amyamyamy14
12-07-13, 09:56
So, I haven't been here on a while. Around a year ago I posted my panic over lymph nodes (I still have them, same size.) In the last year I have gotten help for my anxiety, and I was getting better, until recently.

Last July my mum was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer. Because she had 1 positive lymph node she had to do chemo. Plus radiation, and hormone therapy.

I dealt with it fairly well considering my issues with anxiety. I think it was because I blanked everything out, and never really dealt with it. Well, recently it has hit me, and I've become depressed.

I'm scared her cancer is going to come back in her organs, and she is going to die. I feel like I'm the only one in my family taking it seriously. I spend hours and hours researching breast cancer prognosis and recurrence rates. I can't believe it has taken a year to hit me. Somehow I numbed it all out, but now I'm not numb.

I'm only 20, and this whole breast cancer thing scares me.

Its upsetting as I thought I finally got rid of my anxiety, but now its back.

I'm not sure what to do about it anymore, its getting out of control.

Rennie1989
12-07-13, 10:06
I wouldn't say you're on the only one taking it seriously. People tackle serious issues like cancer in different ways and therefore have different coping strategies. Can't you talk to the doctor yourself about your mum's health and treatment, providing that she's happy for you to know? It may relieve you to hear it from a professional.

amyamyamy14
12-07-13, 10:34
Thanks for replying :-)

I've gone to her appointments before, and they have been okay. I haven't been recently though, she had a check up the other day. I went when she was diagnosed, the one before surgery. I went to all her radiation ones as I had to take her everyday for treatment for 6 weeks. And I've been to one with her chemo oncologist (after she finished though).

I think she doesn't like it (or my dad) when I go, they know I worry too much due to my anxiety.

I find that when I go, I want to research more. The whole thing is scary.

Rennie1989
12-07-13, 15:51
You don't want to research too much into the whole deal, there will be things that you won't understand and just increase your anxiety. And Dr Google often scaremongers anyway.