PDA

View Full Version : Panic when I'm isolated

mrmj
12-07-13, 10:51
Hey everyone,

so recently I've been doing quite well in my battle with anxiety and panic attacks. I am ignoring and noticing less the many many symptoms of anxiety although a few are starting to creep back on me. However I have fairly recently moved to a new lovely area in a valley with mountains all around. I love climbing the mountains for the fresh air, the exercise and the peacefullness, not to mention the stunning views. However it seems that the last two times I have had a walk up the mountain I have looked down and noticed how isolated I am and that triggers thoughts of 'what if something happens to me' or 'if I have a panic attack now it will take me ages to get down and get help' that invariably sets off a panic attack which is extremely scary when there is absolutely no one around. Luckily both times I have noticed what is happening and felt the feelings building up and managed to calm the attacks down within a couple of (terrifying) minutes. During these few minutes I seem to irrationally try anything, including running lol.

I really don't want to give up these walks as I am so lucky to have them on my doorstep and I love them for the reasons I have said. Any suggestions to stop the panic?

Cheers guys!

flossie
12-07-13, 11:32
It sounds as if you are doing exactly the right thing to me.
Take each day and walk as it comes and know that every time you start to feel anxious that you will be able to work through it. Have you read any of Dr. Claire Weekes's books? She would say 'welcome the panic and practise, practise, practise.' This is what you are doing, practising your coping skills if the anxious feelings start. You are already recognising that although the anxiety is unpleasant you can work through it and you will be OK.
I often do my times tables in my head when I am out walking as distraction.
Keep enjoying your walks, I envy you the peace and wonderful views you must find.

mrmj
12-07-13, 11:38
Thanks for the encouragement and advice flossie! The only thing is that today when walking I did control my breathing but at the same time I was walking down the mountain, fast! I feel as if I ran away from the panic and am quite ashamed of that. It didn't make me feel any better and I almost had another panic attack almost immediately after as I realised how long it would take me to walk to the bottom! I think I will try again next week and I will definitely read Dr Claire Weekes book first!