PDA

View Full Version : Congestion and nose drops.

willous1
12-07-13, 13:11
I have had congestion due to what I assume is hayfever. I am really blocked up and have used nose sprays for a couple of months. However they are not that effective anymore. I went to the doctors today who said I have to stop using these sprays and gave me beconase. He told me that I will have to live with a blocked nose for a bit as I have used the sprays for too long. Along with the hayfever it is causing this issue. Does this sound right. Why will he not give me something that works? Could it be something worse? He told me to come back if no joy in a month. Did not give me any tips to feel a bit better etc. He looked up my nose for ages and now I am worried. How can I sleep when so blocked up. If I have used nose drops too long and they have contributed to the issue how long before normality. Sorry to go on.

joelhall
12-07-13, 13:15
It does, you should really use the steroids like Beconase, rather than the decongestants.

willous1
12-07-13, 19:57
It really is getting to me. Anyone had this issue. I'm worried but at the same time need sleep and can't. Do nose strips work. I don't know what to do.[COLOR="blue"]

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Can anyone help. I'm worried and I hate feeling like this.

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

Anyone?

Kells81
12-07-13, 20:14
I had this problem as well-you get rebound congestion from over use of decongestant spray which is only meant to be used for a maximum of 5 days.

The way I fixed it was to only use the decongestant spray in one nostril, this then gave the other nostril time to get over the issue ( this took about a week). When one nostril was clear without using spray I then stopped using it at all, the second nostril then took about another 7 days to clear.

I had another cold about 2 months after this and made the mistake of using the spray again even though it was only a few times. This brought back the rebound congestion and I had to start the whole process again to stop taking it.

I try to avoid decongestant sprays at all costs now.

Unfortunately it is not a nice thing to go through but there isn't other option.