PDA

View Full Version : Blood Test Results Worrying Me!

SH2727
12-07-13, 17:18
Hello everyone,

I had some blood tests done on Wednesday and had the results today.

My haemoglobin is low at 107 - normal range 110-150.

My plasma glauco is high at 6.4 - normal range 3-6.

My cholestrol level is 5.5 - normal range 2-5.

My iron level is 5 - normal range 7-26.

Non of these tests were fasting tests and I had them done the day after my period had finished (sorry for tmi!). I have to have the tests done again in 3 weeks, this time fasting.

Naturally being a health anxiety sufferer I am freaking out. I take Omeprazole for reflux and Sertraline for anxiety, so could these have an affect on my tests?

Just looking for some reassurance.

Many thanks.

Best wishes. xx

joelhall
12-07-13, 17:29
Glucose isn't really high. In health it can vary bwetween 3.0 and 8.0 with no adverse effects. Fasting levels are normally 4.5-5.6. Any drug can theoretically have an effect on blood chemistry, although given the values are not abnormal, it's clear this isn't the case. Your Hb isn't especially low, especially given you'd just had your period, although the iron level is definitely a sign of Fe-deficiency anaemia, which is much more common in women than in men, especially those who have relatively heavy periods (around 10% of females worldwide). Cholesterol is slightly raised, although I'm assuming there wasn't a differential test done to check LDL:HDL. Total cholesterol is not a good indicator of potential problems.

You should expect your levels of glucose and cholesterol to both be lower in a fasting test of course, so it's unlikely there are any abnormalities, apart from the iron-deficiency anaemia. This is usually due to low dietary levels or poor absorption, although your doctor will have to investigate the cause, and further tests such as for ferritin levels and MCV. Try not to worry too much at the moment however. As you haven't mentioned any other problems there's a good chance that it is not due to any serious problem, and simple to treat.

SH2727
12-07-13, 17:38
Thank you Joel. You've put my mind at rest :)

Cags48
23-07-14, 19:03
That glucose isn't high at all

anthrokid
26-07-14, 02:36
Having blood tests just after you've finished a period can affect the results - particularly any relating to iron and haemoglobulin. As joelhall said, glucose and cholesterol will have different levels after fasting, and these levels will be better indicator of issues. Different medications can also have impacts on blood tests. You'll have a much better idea of any potential problems in your levels after your next test :) Remember, your GP is trained to be able to identify any problems from your blood tests, and if they saw a real cause for concern they would discuss it with you. Make sure you talk to your GP about any results that worry you as well - they will be able to explain the results to you and what they mean.