PDA

View Full Version : Practice when calm

hopeful
11-10-06, 12:06
Hi all,
I have learned all about breathing exercises,relaxation,distracting thoughts,positive thinking etc BUT when I become over anxious I cant remember any of them to put into practice! I now try to do them all even when I feel ok,especially the correct breathing. Anyone else the same or do I have some sort of memory loss??????

julie x

Phill2
11-10-06, 12:25
I think it happens to us all.The anxiety is so overwhelming we can't concentrate on anything else. Either that or we've both got memory loss.
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

sarah1984
11-10-06, 13:17
I was exactly the same Julie for several months. When the anxiety got so bad it was all very well being told to practice positive thinking, breathing techniques etc but you just feel overwhelmed by it all. The only thing that helped when I was at my worst was to take some diazepam and go to bed for a few hours. However, when you're feeling good, practice as much as you can and believe me, it does become a lot easier and those difficult days become fewer and far between.
Take Care
Sarah :)

tam
11-10-06, 17:37
HI JULIE THAT DEFINATLEY HAPPENS TO ME I FORGET EVERYTHING .I HAVE SPOKE TO LOADS OF PEOPLE WHO THIS HAPPENS TOO,YOU ARE DEFINATLEY NOT ON YOUR OWN.

heavymind
13-10-06, 09:32
I too agree, it is sometimes very hard to "just come out". When I talk to parents, they say, "just stop worrying", but its not as simple as that. Prevention is hardwork, but cure is harder.

asdf

hopeful
14-10-06, 10:36
Thanks for all your replies.
Im reading Claire weekes book 'self help for your nerves and in there she says not to fight it. Good job cos when it happens to me I dont seem to get much choice!!!!
julie x

emster
15-10-06, 19:35
not just you at all, with all the self help material ive read over the years about panic attacks by rights i ought to be the world leading expert on the subject, but as soon as i start having an attack, all of a sudden i just dont have a clue what to do. Excellent idea to practice when calm though, i ought to do a bit of that myself, trouble is though when calm i tend to get complacent.

spuds
15-10-06, 21:07
I found this website useful. I printed out these coping statements and used to read them when I was anxious. I found it helped.

http://anxietynetwork.com/helpcope.html#helpcop1