PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing hair dye anxiety

almamatters
14-07-13, 13:11
I don't mind admitting I am a bit obsessed with hair dye allergy testing. I did another one yesterday, and the skin feels itchy but I don't know if this is from the dye or pollen or something else. Is it best to cover the area I am testing with a plaster does anyone know.?

Canadiana
14-07-13, 14:44
I honestly have no clue if you should be covering it? And I'm the same way with hair dye......I'm scared of having a severe allergic reaction! It's been a few months since I did mine, and it really needs it! It usually takes me a long while before I dye it, but as soon as I start applying it, I panic, and I've been known to wash it out immediately. So far I've been putting it off for about 2 months. Its in my head that if I do it, I will definitely have a reaction! I will add, I've never had a bad reaction, and I've been coloring my hair at home for 20 years....but things I've stupidly read make me terrified! Now I figure that even if I do a skin test, I will probably end up making myself itchy, then I will think its a reaction! So I guess I will leave my hair as it is :/ sorry that didn't answer your question, but you are not alone with a hair dye fear!

pinky2681
14-07-13, 15:20
I booked in at the hairdressers and I'm due to have it done in 2 days and I'm dreading it. Ive just put one of those tatoo testing kits on and I keep staring at it trying to see if I can 'feel' anything.

If your doing a skin test with dye then I'd leave it on a hr or so then rinse it off (like u would if it was on ur hair) if u leave dye on your skin for hours n hours it prob will itch but when you colour your hair you only leave it on for a hr max so u should do this for a test. Saying that this tatoo test I have on says to leave on 48 hours but its a diff style of testing x

almamatters
14-07-13, 16:07
Thanks for both your replies, I know I am not alone with this fear. I have covered it with a plaster but not sure if I should. I know what you mean Canadiana about our minds playing tricks on us and if we think we are going to get a reaction then we start getting itching etc (probably not related to the hair dye)
Interesting point Pinky2681 about the length of time for allergy tests, I agree that if something is on your skin for a long time it is bound to start itching, but I suppose there must be a reason why manufacturers tell you to do this.
Thanks again xx

KeeKee
14-07-13, 16:07
I have this too havent dyed my hair since December and it looks awful. I did an allergy test recently (with a plaster) and it went red and dry. I do believe it is off the plaster but obviously I can't be sure.
In the past I have taken anti-histamines when I dye my hair haha not sure if that does anything.

almamatters
14-07-13, 16:13
I have this too havent dyed my hair since December and it looks awful. I did an allergy test recently (with a plaster) and it went red and dry. I do believe it is off the plaster but obviously I can't be sure.
In the past I have taken anti-histamines when I dye my hair haha not sure if that does anything.

Me too! I take anti - histamines for a few days before, in the hope this will protect me in case of a reaction! I think I am a bit allergic to plasters, so obviously if I start itching no idea if it off the plaster, dye or whatever.
The longest I left my hair was 18 months, I looked terrible . I was fine until I read an article the other year and that set all this off.
Good luck KeeKee hope you manage to dye yours soon. x

tricia28
14-03-15, 12:20
I have been tinting or bleaching my hair professionally for 30 plus years with no problems. The last time I had it bleached I had such a severe allergic reaction the salon had to call a paramedic who gave me an anti histamine shot. Since then I have has 2 patch tests with different products in 2 salons. Both resulted in irritations, the second, from a tiny spot, after 10 minutes resulted in my face and neck flaring up in an angry red rash. My allergy appeared from nowhere and seems to be increasing so much so I am terrified to try anything other than camomile tea on my hair!
Please everyone have a patch test, don't assume you cannot develop an allergy out of the blue, as I did.
It could be age, hormonal changes, years of build up plus manufacturers changing the formulae.
I too am distraught with my dark/grey roots after being a blonde, especially as I get married in 3 months but nothing is worth risking your health or worse your life for.
Please get patch tests and don't worry, you'll know very quickly if you are going to get an allergic reaction so no need to panic if the patch test is fine.

.Poppy.
14-03-15, 13:33
I don't personally dye my hair, so I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I follow an actress on Twitter (she's in NCIS, not sure if you're familiar with the show) and she dyes her hair regularly. She apparently had a bad reaction to hair dye about a month ago (apparently the reaction is more common as you get older) BUT claims she switched to a product made by "Elumen" that does something different to color the hair and isn't dangerous.

Like I said, I don't know anything about it, but if you're concerned it may be worth looking into.

AlexandriaUK
14-03-15, 18:58
Hi as a Hairdresser for many years I will say that reactions to hair dyes are not that common, some people who do colour there hair every single month without prior testing are more at risk, also you can get hair dyes free from PPD and other irritants, your test patch shouldn't be covered and it should stay on 48 hours not an hour.
Check this site its very informative and there dyes are free from a lot of the worst chemicals.
The lighter the dye colour the safer they are as well, if you have had henna tattoos there is also more risk of a reaction.
http://naturvital.co.uk/ppd-free-hair-colour/

anthrokid
14-03-15, 23:48
As others have mentioned, there are certain brands that offer dyes with less chemicals and more natural ingredients. If it is an allergy to the chemicals in hair dye that worries you it might be worth looking into some alternatives.

Regarding the patch test: You should know quite quickly if you have a severe reaction to something. If it is only a mild irritation it might take a few hours to show up, but for a severe allergy it would probably be a pretty quick reaction. I have a couple of contact allergies and they flare up almost immediately after contact. For example, I am ridiculously allergic to horses and, within 5 minutes of being anywhere with horse hair, I get hives on any exposed area of my skin. I am also allergic to carpet cleaner, but fortunately people don't get their carpets professionally cleaned all that often so it isn't much of a problem. However, on the couple of occasions where I've been on freshly cleaned carpet, my feet flared up within minutes.

This also reminds me of something funny that happened to me when my anxiety was still quite high. I don't even remember what it was on my arm, probably a cut or small sore, so I put a bandaid on it. An hour later the 'sore' had turned into painful rash across my arm and freaked out that it was a severe allergy and sent myself into a right panic. I took the bandaid off because it hurt and it scabbed up a little and the rash died down. When it felt ok again I put another bandaid on, and what do you know, I'm actually allergic to that type of bandaid, haha! I've only used that type once since and, sure enough, my skin flared up within minutes.