PDA

View Full Version : Late period - cancer fears.

sedalia
14-07-13, 14:42
My period is now 7 days late. (It's very unlikely that I am pregnant). I'm 48 yrs old and I know this is the time that periods can start to get erratic but because I have terrible health anxiety I'm terrified it's a sign of ovarian cancer. I keep crying and can think of nothing else, My periods have always been very regular so I'm convinced there is something very wrong. Everyone keeps telling me it's probably my age, and even joking about me getting old, they don't know I'm sitting here crying about it. As everyone on here knows, health anxiety makes you disregard the most probable cause and fear the worst. I am getting in such a state. I'm hoping someone has some encouraging words please (other than "go to the doctor", as I'm too scared).

Speranza
14-07-13, 14:57
I do have encouraging words, but if you were advising me, I'm sure you would tell me to go to the doctor!

It is incredibly likely to be to do with your menopause. Anything more sinister (which I AM sure it won't be) would be far more treatable if picked up early. If you are too scared to go to the doctor, how are they supposed to help you avoid the things you dread?

If they do a very simple blood test they can tell you if you are entering menopause. Go and get some peace of mind. x