PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin - water retention and periods

wundress
15-07-13, 10:50
Hi

I started taking Pregablin just over a month ago. It has done wonders for my anxiety but I am a little concerned about the side effects.

I also take oestrogen and progesterone as an alternative to anti-depressants (because literally none of them have worked for me over the past 10 years!)

Since taking Lyrica my ankles and feet have become really quite swollen. I have also put on about half a stone. My period has also not come this month. I'm not sure if that is related to the Lyrica or not. My periods are regulated normally to happen on the 10th of every month due to the hormone therapy I am prescribed. So far I have not had a bleed this month (although I am having the pains) and last month it only happened for a day and a half and was very light.

My GP previously said I needed to ensure I was having periods because of the hormones and the risk of complications if I didn't bleed. So now I am a bit worried.

However, the receptionist at my GPs is a b***h. She is very rude every time I ring and I get anxious at the thought of having to speak to her. And to top things off, there are a number of GPs at the surgery and I can't remember which one prescribed me the Pregabalin! Having a bit of a depressive episode at the moment.

SarahH
15-07-13, 12:55
Hi there,
Welcome to pregabalin!:)

I would say the weight gain and water retention is the pregabalin. I had exactly the same. The higher the dose the more bloated I became. So I lowered the dose from 500,mgs to 400mgs. You dont say what dose you are on.

Regarding the hormone treatment and lack of periods I would say you MUST see a Dr to discuss. Perhaps you could talk about the water retention which of course could also be pre-menstral. I could put on a dress size in the week leading up to my period (pre hysterctom!)

But insist on seeing a Dr to put your mind at rest.

Sarah

hanshan
16-07-13, 14:12
If your ankles and feet have become swollen, it would seem likely that pregabalin is the cause. This could also be the cause of the weight gain. Note that this weight gain is due to fluid retention and not likely to proceed further.

If you continue to gain weight, you will need to actively assess things like dietary intake. I've written about this in other posts, but I do think these drugs play around with our natural weight regulation system. My own take is that it is possible to counter this by counting calories, etc. However, I haven't noticed anyone jumping up to support me!

JT69
17-07-13, 09:35
Hello

Hanshan I totally support you with this, in my own experience you can keep the weight under control with careful eating etc, though this is much easier said than done when your body is telling you it is hungry and your mind is not in a particular good place either.

You just have to weigh up the pro's and cons and decide from there.

Jo.x