PDA

View Full Version : Flipped Out Completely

CaffinatedCathy
15-07-13, 14:16
I have had a fear of storms all my life but it got really bad after I turned 18.

Around 5 years ago, when I was in my mid 20s, we were moving house and went back to the old place to finish cleaning and move the fishtanks before power got cut off.

The house otherwise was empty.

A lightning storm rolled in and I figured as I was busy it would be a piece of cake ... boy was I wrong.

Hubby ad I heard a BANG from outside and we ran to the front of the house to see lightning had blown apart the transformer on one of the power poles down the road. Our lights dimmed then went off as the whole neighborhood lost power. Next door had several broken globes from the surge that went around. We were lucky. Unfortunately that meant the only light in the house was from the lightning and outside (it was late afternoon and really dark).

I began to pace and follow husband everywhere constantly talking, it was annoying him a little but he could tell I was really wound up. That is all I remember up to. Next thing I knew we were in the kitchen.

What husband recalled was me grabbing his arm hard and going white as a sheet. He said I started to chant "The lightning's going to get me, I'm going to die" That is when he curled up in the kitchen in the corner on the floor with me. I rocked back and forth chanting for what would have been ten mins.

He couldn't call an ambulance as the storm was too violent. I came to eventually and started to speak coherently and in short sentences. I was shaking like a leaf and felt ill and light headed. We went home once I felt it was safe to do so and did the rest of the cleaning the next day when there was no clouds.

5 or so years on I am still a mess, have never fully recovered from that night but hubby now knows what warning signs to look for in me.

I also had a similar incident where the lift I was in started beeping at me, refused to open or close its doors, the other lift occupants left and I thought I was going to be stuck so I curled up in the corner outside the lifts until someone found me. I refused to use lifts for the remainder of the day.

Anyone else been close to or had a meltdown like that before?

Speranza
15-07-13, 14:20
Yes, I described on Auntie Moosie's thread how I once came to and found myself running around a forest after a fighter jet had flown very low over where I was sunbathing. The first I knew was wondering why my feet were prickling.