PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me that visits cancer forums?

Darren1
15-07-13, 15:55
Is it just me that reads posts on cancer forums? particularly charities?

I know its really bad but it makes me feel better when I read about somebodys treatment working - because I am convinced I have cancer and it's terminal!

unsure_about_this
15-07-13, 16:54
Hi

I have to admit I also read forums like you mention. but trying very hard to go on these now, I prefer now to donate money to these charities and some of the threads I have seen frighten me ever more. I fear sorry for those having to go through treatment of treating their cancer and hoping it can be cured, as well as their family and friends who must be worried can it can cured.

I am convinced the doctors have miss something even though I had tests done and nothing has been found, even my parents say you have more tests than anybody I know. I am driving my parents crackers, its the fear about my health.

I am concerned and worrying about cancer no stop with number of trips to the doctors plus other diseases. I am scared of dying.

almamatters
15-07-13, 17:43
Is it just me that reads posts on cancer forums? particularly charities?

I know its really bad but it makes me feel better when I read about somebodys treatment working - because I am convinced I have cancer and it's terminal!

I read these as well, I wish I didn't, part of it is reassurance like you say when someone is getting better , the other part must be some kind of morbid fascination with how people cope with a terrible diagnoses. I try and make a point of avoiding them if I can but it is hard. I cancer phobic and have severe HA so I do not think reading them is at all healthy for me.

cattia
15-07-13, 19:37
This is something I used to do but I haven't done it for a long time. You really need to stop doing this (and I say that in a non judgemental way because I totally understand the compulsion to seek reassurance in that way). It will only ever make your anxiety worse. When I have read these types of forums in the past even if I've found something that reassured me, which does happen, I keep reading looking for furether reassurance until I read something awful. People who have cancer are obviously very tuned in to the experience of having cancer so their bodily sensations and experiences will be seen through that filter. If you apply that same way of thinking to yourself then you are putting yourself in the position of someone who has cancer and fuelling your anxiety by directly linking their experience to your own. If you can, try to come up with some strategies to stop you doing this. As I said,I don't mean this to come acrossas preaching as I have done this too in the past.

yenool
25-07-13, 17:59
I don't read cancer forums but I do read forums for other illnesses I think I may have (hypothyroid for example) and I also read and contribute to forums for illnesses or problems I do actually have- like this one and others about chronic pain, male hormone health, fitness & weight loss.

I try not to doom and gloom too much by reading sites for things that I logically know I don't have, but obviously the anxiety can take over sometimes!