PDA

View Full Version : cant even look at my self

annadavid
15-07-13, 23:25
i have depression and anxiety and lots more stuff but thats the two i mainly suffer from! i take medicine for it ,,, but recently i cant even look at my self in the mirror with out crying i dont even know what i look like naked cause i cover my self when i change cause im to embarrassed to see my self! but what upsets me most is walking past a mirror and catching a glance of my self and wanting to cry, i have no self confidence anymore and im brining my boyfriend down with me! basically asking for any advice at all?

Speranza
15-07-13, 23:36
Well for now, don't look in the mirror... Sounds as though you might need a review of your medicine with the doctor. Try to believe what other people tell you about how you look, rather than what you see. At some level you know you aren't seeing what is really there, because you have identified it as a problem. That's a great start!

Stormsky
15-07-13, 23:40
Depression is horrible... I recall the doom and gloom...
But you should never berate yourself...you should be your own best friend.. You need to walk past a mirror and say something nice for a change..
Running yourself down will make you feel rubbish....
Say something nice and see how that feels.

osiris5
15-07-13, 23:51
Hi Anna. Im sorry to hear you feeling the way you are about yourself but take pride in the fact that youre boyfirend must be with you for a reason if that be looks , personality both or something else he must see something in you that makes him want to be with you, the biggest critic you will come across in life is yourself and people can be really critical about themselves youre not alone with this , theirs no cure for depression nor for anxiety but you can in time and most importantly in youre own time start to overcome it and one day you may be able to look at yourself and look at how youre life is and be happy :)

Daisy Sue
16-07-13, 00:10
I think most girls/women have a degree of not liking something about what they see in the mirror.. I know I do, and have when I was younger too... I think I got to a stage when I started to think "oh sod it, I am who I am", and as long as I feel I've made a decent effort to look ok before I go out, I'm happier with that train of thought, than feeling I have to live up to my or someone else's image of perfect.

I like what Stormsky said about being your own best friend - very good advice there. :)

theharvestmouse
16-07-13, 17:59
The only way this situation will improve is by tackling the underlying issue. Sounds like you need to improve your self confidence, the good thing is that there are loads of things you can do to do this.

It's also about acceptance, as Daisy Sue says, one you accept yourself it takes all sorts of pressures off, but you need to be happy with who you are.

annadavid
16-07-13, 19:46
sperenza: i am going to the doctor soon for a review i think i need to see what i can do next with my medicine!
stormsky:thats what my councilor told me to right a nice thing/something i like about my self every day and stick it to my mirror and read it every time i look in mirror!
osiris5:my boyfriend tells me im beautiful but i cant seem to believe him i ignore it and move on the convisation :/
daisy sue: i agree i just dont see why some should have self dowt more than others its cruel!
theharvestmouse: i think i need to sit down think what i dont like about my self and change it or at least try ,then i may feel more confident in my self!
thankyou to everyone for replying made me feel better about it knowing im not alone!

Daisy Sue
16-07-13, 20:10
This may help you... I used to carry this on a scrap of paper in my purse for years... not that I'm religious, but the words really meant the world to me for a long time, and taught me a lot..

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

:)