PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety - False Alarms.

NotGood
16-07-13, 14:02
Having discovered this great site when going though a particularly bad episode of Health Anxiety, the thing that I found the most helpful was the list of false alarms on the 'Health Anxiety' Articles page (Copied below).
As I'm sure we all know, the worst thing that HA sufferers can do is google any symptoms, so to counter-balance it, I thought it would be nice to see stories from NMP members where it all worked out fine, i.e. the symptoms, the worry and the final innocent dignosis?
(perhaps even a specific forum for such stories?)

What do you think?

[From nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/healthanxiety/]
Let's look at a few recent examples of health anxiety that we've had on the message forum:
I've listed the anxious malady first with the ultimate cause second.

A blood clot in my leg - was a pinched nerve in my knee causing referred pain
Going blind - dry eye syndrome
West Nile Virus - stomach virus
A brain tumour - sinus congestion
Spacey feelings - Thoughts of I'm dying
I thought I had colon cancer due to bright red stool...turns out I ate too many pistachios! (I didn't know the red dye, dyes everything!)
I thought I had a sinus infection that spread to my brain, turns out it only spread to my ears.
I woke up with numbness in my arm and thought I was having a heart attack; turns out I was sleeping on my arm.
I thought I was bi-polar, schizophrenic, insane and certifiable, turns out I had anxiety.
I thought I had a tropical disease of the worst kind due to bright yellow urine - turns out it was the Vitamin B tablets
I thought I was pregnant or miscarrying (immaculate conception sort) - it was St. Johns wort interacting with my BCP causing break through bleeding
Lung cancer - common cold
Brain tumour - migraine
Fatal heart arrhythmia - common everyday palpitations
Deep vein thrombosis - I'd banged my shin but had forgotten- the bruise the next day was worth it
Fell out of a hammock and thought I must have broken at least 1 bone! No, just got a bit winded that's all!
Came up in a rash all over both legs. Oh no, could I be having an Anaphylaxis shock! No, it was just a heat rash so I sprayed some magicool on - much better!
Fell out of the pool. That's right, fell out not in! Tried to clamber up looking very lady like of course! I thought I could make it but me being a short ass I didn't make it so fell splat on the concrete. Grazing my leg nicely on the way! Oh no, what if the graze turns gangrenous. Guess what - it hasn't and it's healing nicely now!
Last but not least have had a few days with a very dodgy tummy. Oh no could it be salmonella or something! No just a mixture of heat rich food and IBS I think!

venusbluejeans
16-07-13, 14:22
I am not sure a whole separate forum would work as we would not get enough posts. People normally post on threads they have started if they are going to post what their 'deadly disease' turns out to be, but we do find that not many people chose to do that anyway.

Feel free to start a thread in the Health Anxiety forum though, asking people for their stories and false alarms if you feel it would help.

Emmz

NotGood
23-07-13, 14:50
Thanks for the reply. I'll maybe start a thread as see how it goes.

Edward_1980
24-07-13, 12:23
I have to add to this thread.

Things I thought were happening:

A blood cloth in my leg - A pinched nerve
No bones in my hand - Depersonalization
Choking to death on minced beef - Indigestion
Brain tumor - Migraine
Cancer in my testicle - A common infection

venusbluejeans
24-07-13, 12:29
I have moved this thread to the Health Anxiety Forum so people can continue to add if they want to