PDA

View Full Version : Giving away my calm

Regina
17-07-13, 03:43
Been feeling a little better lately with the attacks; still having them but milder. Today though, I had to take care of a family that really triggered me. Someone who lost both kids and a partner in an accident... I was fine while meeting with them and making arrangements but afterward I felt sick with stomach pain and ended up taking a sedative, which hasn't helped at all.

I was in a severe accident that broke my neck a while back and my son was the same age as his, so there were a lot of switches flipped by it. I already have trouble worrying about every bad thing that could happen to my kid.

Does anyone have any advice about not taking on other people's grief or ways to let go? Everyone tells me how comforting and calming I am and that I'm good at my job and at putting people at ease. (Which is hilariously ironic) I seem to give everyone else my calm to ease their pain, but in the process take it on myself and end up a mess! My therapist calls it secondary trauma... any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Regina xx

Speranza
17-07-13, 13:33
I guess your therapist has already talked to you about drawing good boundaries..?

This reminds me of stuff I have read about people who are natural healers, how it is important to be spiritually aware and protect yourself from taking too much on. If you are 'that way inclined' you could maybe read up on that.

Regina
17-07-13, 15:54
I'm fairly new to seeing a therapist, maybe on the fourth week now, so we haven't reached boundaries yet, just talking about what triggers attacks and breathing and such so far. Thank you for the suggestion. I will look it up :)

~Regina x