PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with anxiety in times of crisis?

amaryllis_celladine
17-07-13, 16:29
Hello, everyone.

I often see advice for people who are experiencing severe anxiety when it isn't called for, when there is no real situation to be anxious about and it's our mind being hypervigilant.

But I rarely see advice for people when they are trying to deal with difficult situations in real life and the anxiety response is so bad that it leaves you wrecked.

My father has been to the doctor and had some tests done due to health issues. He's in his 70s and I'm terrified of something being seriously wrong with him. They found a result that's less than perfectly okay, and my mother and I are very worried. But there is no evidence to suggest at this point that it's anything life-threatening.

My CBT teachings so far tell me not to worry until there's something to be worried about. Yet this afternoon I was so scared and worried that my hands were shaking wildly. I haven't had any appetite all day, and have been unable to eat anything at all, even though I'm starving.

I took 5mg of valium over a few hours (broke it in half). I didn't want to but I didn't know how else to deal with the anxiety I was feeling.

What does one do in these situations? When there is something actually to worry about?

Speranza
17-07-13, 18:28
I had some interesting counselling a few years ago during which she encouraged me to 'feel' my feelings. (Sounds obvious, but to me it wasn't). So if I was scared, or angry, or sad, I learnt to BE scared, angry, sad, and not to feel worried that I would be overwhelmed.

Now you have something to be geuinely anxious about, and that is fine. Personally I would let myself feel anxious - maybe allocate a few minutes when that is ALL you focus on, but tell yourself, "At quarter to seven, I'm going to ring.../do the dishes/watch..."

Bottom line is, it is okay to feel however you feel. Fighting it won't help and will take energy you don't have - so say to yourself, "I'm very anxious and sad right now." And let yourself be, it's ok. It won't hurt you. Ultimately you will cope better for not panicking when you feel this way. :hugs: