PDA

View Full Version : Family history, inherited problems

mummyanxious
18-07-13, 08:55
Does anyone know about what constitutes a risk re family history? I've been worrying about one side of my family who don't seem to live to a great age. My grandfather died young, I suspect from heart problems but it had always been kept from me. I'm thinking of finding out but I'm too scared in case it's something I might have. But would the tests I've already had show up a defect that would be life threatening??? Echo ECG etc? And do these problems duddenly come on?

Speranza
18-07-13, 09:07
There isn't one answer to this. But I personally would advise against having tests and then living with more worry.

My Ex was terrified for years because his Grandpa dropped dead at 50, and his father did the same at 62. However they were both heavy smokers, and back then high blood pressure and high familial cholesterol weren't routinely diagnosed. If you are anxious, you could get checked for those (How old are you now?) because those are both things which can be corrected. My Ex is in his sixties, perfectly healthy, has regular check ups. They found he DID have high BP and cholesterol but he doesn't now.

mummyanxious
18-07-13, 09:17
I'm mid thirties. My bp is perfect. Not had cholesterol done for a few years but when I did at work, probably about five years ago, it was under the average.

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Also I've never smoked and rarely drink

Speranza
18-07-13, 09:20
So then I would say you are more at risk from prolonged anxiety than anything else. Who died early apart from your grandfather? And did they keep the cause of death from you because you were already anxious? My friend had a similar thing with a family member and it turned out they had committed suicide. Families are very secretive at times.

mummyanxious
18-07-13, 09:25
His father, his grandfather etc. all died young.
I've no idea why they've never told me, I'm just worried as to what it was. Can only think heart would make you drop dead duddenly and for some reason I have an idea that what it was, maybe heard someone say something once I don't know.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Are inherited things usually structural or electrical? Or both? Would they show up on routine ECG and echo or would you need to catch them?

Speranza
18-07-13, 09:46
You have other genes too.

mummyanxious
18-07-13, 09:53
I know but I always seem to have all the anxiety problems etc from that side of the family. The other side of my family have great ages :)

jender
18-07-13, 10:19
His father and his sister died young.
I have no idea why he is not tell me.I am so worried about him.My friend has a similar thing with a family member and he had committed suicide.

Granny Primark
18-07-13, 10:51
Weve got heart problems in my family and in my husbands family.
My mums sister died age 25, her other sister died age 42, my mum age 60 and her brother age63.
My hubbys brothers died age 50 and 64. And his parents died within 18 days of each other age 72 and 73.
Il admit its always at the back of my mind as ive taken bp tabs since 29 and my hubby since 45.
Although all of them were very young I wouldnt like to think that theyd had suffered with cancer or some other terrible illness.

joelhall
18-07-13, 11:00
His father, his grandfather etc. all died young.
I've no idea why they've never told me, I'm just worried as to what it was. Can only think heart would make you drop dead duddenly and for some reason I have an idea that what it was, maybe heard someone say something once I don't know.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Are inherited things usually structural or electrical? Or both? Would they show up on routine ECG and echo or would you need to catch them?
Lots of things can kill you, from cancer to accidents. As for inherited defects they can be either structural or physiological. I would not be too worried however, as you're describing sex-linked early death.

mummyanxious
18-07-13, 19:37
What do you mean by physiological? Sex linked? Is there really such a thing? My great grandfather and great grandmother died of coronary thrombosis. It's all just so depressing and upsetting.
I don't want to be taken from my kids.
What will this week long event monitor prove? I don't understand how they work if you press them after a palpitation? The dr said something about it records backwards as well? How can it possibly do that?
I've had tons of skipped beats today. Took the kids out for the day and I just felt miserable as it made me so anxious and frightened I was going to drop down right there. I have been having loads. Is it normal to get more skipped beats in the hot weather?

AlexandriaUK
18-07-13, 19:43
I would say yes and if you are preoccupied and focusing on your heart beat I promise it will keep skipping beats, years ago when I was younger LOL I had them most of the time and so did my Dr, he used to let me listen to his to make me less worried, didnt always work but he is 76 now and still with us LOL also he would say that its the sign of a healthy heart.
Where did the sex come into it???

mummyanxious
18-07-13, 19:44
Previous comment from joel