PDA

View Full Version : Checking In

Vita Bella
18-07-13, 10:18
Hi everyone,

I was inspired to join today after watching a certain mental health programme yesterday on a certain BBC channel (not sure If I can mention it)?

I was amazed that so many people could talk so openly about their disorders, especially as I am such a private person when it comes to my anxiety/depression and hypochondria. I've only told 3 people about my issues - my boyfriend (a BPD sufferer), my mum, and a therapist who I haven't seen in months.

I'm embarrassed about it, because I haven't always been this way. My friends remember me as the bubbly, outgoing, funny one. Now I am a closed off, nervous hermit who spends 80% of my time certain that I am drying of heart attacks, cancer, strokes, and everything else in the medical journal. And instead of being honest with my friends and just telling them that I have/am changing, I cut them out, and now I feel so lonely.

I guess what I am hoping for is to meet like-minded people who I can talk to, perhaps learn from, and if I am lucky, maybe make a new friend.

Ally-SA
18-07-13, 10:39
Hello and welcome :D

You've come to the right place - a lot of us feel the same as you do! It helps to share...

I'm not in the UK, so I didn't see the documentary, but someone did post something about it somewhere on the site. lol :)

Want to add this: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1062994

Lots of great links and info on there!

Speranza
18-07-13, 12:03
Hi, and welcome. It is a really friendly place here, you can share whatever you need, and no doubt help other people too from your own experience. :welcome:

kittikat
18-07-13, 12:13
Hello & :welcome:

I saw that programme too and thought it was great. I used to hide my anxiety away but I think looking back this probably did me more harm than good. I am far more open about it now and it is a relief to be honest. I know it's a very personal choice but really, for me, was the best thing I could have done.

You will get lots of support from all the lovely people here at NMP. You certainly are not alone now!

Kitti :)

Mark13
19-07-13, 22:01
Hi. Welcome aboard. You've certainly found a good place to be.

I'm sure you'll find lots of support here, as I have.

Sparkle1984
19-07-13, 22:37
Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and support here - I certainly have. :)

Have you found any treatment to help your anxiety/depression? I'm on citalopram 20mg and also doing CBT. It helps a lot. :)