PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Dan...

Just Some Guy
18-07-13, 10:58
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to read this little insight into who I am and why I'm here on this forum. :)

My name's Dan, I'm in my early thirties, and I work in an office in London.

About four weeks ago I fainted on a train coming home from work; it wasn't particularly hot, I'd eaten well, I was hydrated, and the train wasn't particularly busy. I'm told I was out for approx. 30 seconds or so with my eyes open. When I came to I then experienced what I now know to be an almighty panic attack (though at the time it felt like a heart attack; chest pain, shaking, shortness of breath etc.) Anyway's I was treated by paramedics at the scene who then took me to hospital for further tests to make sure I hadn't had a heart attack/stroke/blood clot...which all came back normal. :yesyes:

My GP then referred me to a neurologist who sent me for an MRI to check the brain for things like signs of epilepsy, tumors, and such things as I was suffering continual dizzyness and light-headedness. Again the results came back clear. :yesyes:

Since all this I have been suffering from regular panic attacks that last for a minimum of 15 minutes and anything up to an hour (the worst of which came on in the early hours of this morning after waking up to use the toilet), continued dizzy spells, and a complete intolerance to stress - I'm already aware of some of my triggers; getting on the train, being somewhere on my own, feeling an unexpected pain ("oh my god its happening again!) - however some of the attacks have come completely unexpectedly and catch me completely by surprise.

I'm currently awaiting a prescription for some medication from the GP which they say will help with both the dizzyness and panics attacks (it's not Prochloperazine) and I have been advised to get some CBT sessions. These should be the start of me getting over this horrible time in my life.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough. Hello! Thanks for reading, and you'll no doubt see me popping up on these forums.

Dan

kipperfish
18-07-13, 11:11
Hi Dan and Welcome!!

I'm relatively new here too but I know there's a lot of people here who are going through similar things and there's always someone to talk to :)

I myself suffer from constant dizziness as a result of migraines which is definitely worsened by stress. CBT should hopefully help with the triggers and it's great that you know what they are so early on too!

x

Just Some Guy
18-07-13, 11:21
Hi Kipperfish,

Thanks for saying Hi! :)

The dizzyness is horrible, especially when you look fine on the outside but are trying not to stumble or fall with every step, and trying to get on a train each day to go to work with it is just a nightmare!

What methods have helped you cope with your symptoms?

kipperfish
18-07-13, 11:38
Absolutely, dizziness can be terrifying!

One of the main triggers for me for my dizziness and for the panic attacks is heat, if I feel I'm getting overheated or too hot then I go dizzy and can't cope and panic, for this I usually take a bottle of frozen water everywhere with me, even if i'm just taking the dogs out. That way I know I can just cool myself down straight away and it works immediately, but that may be something just specific to me.

Other than that, its just taking things step by step, don't rush things, leave yourself plenty of time to get somewhere so if you do feel a bit weird just take a step back and breathe for a bit.

Sorry it's not an amazing response lol the dizziness is a relatively new things for me too x

Ally-SA
18-07-13, 11:53
Hi Dan, and welcome!

Last year I experienced severe anxiety - panic attacks, ringing in ear, twitches, de-realisation, and I was dizzy too. This was around June...

By October I had had enough, and went on to some meds - which really helped. They got me out of a dark place, yanno? :) And they took away that horrible dizzy/spinning feeling - and I sorta felt 'normal' again.

There are plenty of awesome people on here, and loads of tips and info. I'm sure it will all help! x

Speranza
18-07-13, 11:54
Hiya. :welcome:

Just Some Guy
18-07-13, 12:07
Sorry it's not an amazing response lol the dizziness is a relatively new things for me too

Lol, no worries! Just knowing someone else is experiencing what I am is enough. :)

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Hi Ally-SA! Thanks for replying.

What meds were you on? Are you still on them?

I hear ya on the 'dark place', I've found myself more angry than normal, and when doing things at a deliberately slower pace I have people asking me why I'm "moping about" which doesn't help.

So long as I can lose the dizzyness that'll be a start! :happy:

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Hiya Speranza! :)

kittikat
18-07-13, 12:08
Hello & :welcome:

I am sure you will find it reassuring and a big help being here. I have had CBT and as long as you are prepared to 'go with it' I am sure it will help you to find some real coping strategies too.

All the best, Kitti :)

Just Some Guy
18-07-13, 13:24
Hello Kittikat!

It sure does seem a welcoming place, which is a nice relief. What do you mean when you say "prepared to 'go with it'"?

kittikat
18-07-13, 13:33
Hello Kittikat!

It sure does seem a welcoming place, which is a nice relief. What do you mean when you say "prepared to 'go with it'"?

Well, you will have to put yourself out of your comfort zone a little to face what is happening to you...initially this can escalate the feelings of anxiety as you 'come to terms' with it. Also, I had to do some exposure therapy...this involved being induced into a state of panic and my therapist talking me through how I should respond to it rather than how I was responding to it...also going out, so we made a list of small things I might be able to achieve and I had a goal to do something each week. To be honest it really did help me and although you have to maintain the positive thinking, it's not quite as easy as it sounds!

I do manage much better now with my learnt 'coping mechanisms' and medication. It's all a bit of a rollercoaster to be honest so best to just sit back and enjoy the ride if you can :wacko: lol.

nick_templeton
18-07-13, 13:48
Welcome dan! I only joined a few days ago but the people on here are great! They helped me greatly

Ally-SA
18-07-13, 14:11
I went on to some meds - Serdep (aka Zoloft I think) - and I stopped them in February. I still have anxiety - but nothing as bad as it was before. :)

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Just to add:

Meds may help, yes. But they won't solve any problems/issues that are at the root cause of your anxiety/panic attacks. Unless it's hereditary - not sure about this though.

I'm trying a different approach now - exercise, diet, talking to others... etc. I'm not one to meditate, but I don't mind doing other relaxation techniques. All these things are helping - quite a lot. I have good days, and bad days. Nevertheless - just keep moving forward. :)